Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPod Touch - Nike+ sensor, or Nike+ GPS app?

I have an ipod touch which I want to use to track my speed, distance and calories burnt when running. Is it best to buy a Nike sensor, or will the Nike GPS app do the same thing?

iPod touch, iOS 5.1

Posted on May 9, 2012 1:05 AM

7 replies

May 9, 2012 5:07 AM in response to RunDulwich

The iPOd does not have GPS. For location it uses the location of nearby wifi routers that are in Apples database. That type of location does not work with the Nike + app. Yu nedd to purchase tnd use the $19 sensor. It uses an accelometer to count steps and that together with the step distance is how distance and speed is determined by the iPPod.

May 9, 2012 5:19 AM in response to lllaass

I know that the GPS / route mapping function doesn't work with the Nike+ GPS app, but the app store seems to suggest that the other functions of the app should do. It doesn't mention the sensor. does the iPod have a built in accelometer?

Either way, does this app work with the sensor, or are you better off using the preloaded Nike+ app which forms part of the IOS?

Thanks

May 9, 2012 5:59 AM in response to RunDulwich

Looking into this a little bit more, I have found a couple of reviews which seem to suggest that the Nike+GPS app works without the sensor (minus the GPS / route mapping function), using the built in accelometer:

http://www.macworld.com/article/1153927/nike_gps_iphone_running.html

and....

http://www.engadget.com/2010/09/07/app-review-nike-gps/

Can anyone verify that this is correct?

May 9, 2012 6:12 AM in response to RunDulwich

OK. I have found another review, which is this time pretty explicit about the fact that you don’t need a separate sensor in order to run the Nike+ GPS app on the iPod Touch:

http://randomset-up.blogspot.co.uk/2011/06/nike-gps-application-for-ipod-touch.h tml

I find it weird that the Apple and Nike+ websites both imply that you need to buy the sensor (and even a pair of Nike+ shoes) to use Nike+ with the iPod Touch.

In fact, if it’s true that you only need a 1.99 app which actually gives you more functionalilty (integration with Twitter, Facebook, opportunity to play ‘tag’ etc.), then it looks a little like mis-selling.

May 28, 2012 11:19 AM in response to RunDulwich

Hi,

You are correct, not only do you not need a Sensor to use the Nike+ GPS App on the iPod Touch, the App itself doesn't support a Sensor. It uses the built-in accelerometer on a 2G and up iPod Touch (and the GPS on iPhones) for distance and speed data. My 2G iPod Touch came with the Original Nike+ Running App (not the GPS one) and that one does support the Sensor. I've used both and I prefer the Nike+ GPS App (without Sensor) The voice overs don't kill your eardrums and it gives you more info at your perset lap intervals not just the distance but pace and time. There's also the Tag feature which looks fun, and intergration with FaceBook which I don't use but it's there.

Hope this helps

iPod Touch - Nike+ sensor, or Nike+ GPS app?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.