Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

VPP Redeem Code Not Returned After First Import into Configurator 1.0.1

Short Version: Followed the instructions, and used a clean AppleID to do the first redeem code to download and import into Apple Configurator; I never get it back. Anyway get this to work?

I have been brushing up on the new VPP system and deploying select numbers of iPads (in this case iPad 2, 2nd generation) in an higher education/enterprise scenario, following the iOS 5 Education Deployment Guide and the Layered Ownership Model.

So we set up a Program Manager, Program Facilitator, and purchased some apps. Using a separate AppleID, as instructed by the above document, I redeemed the first code, downloaded the app, and imported that copy from iTunes into Apple Configurator. I added the codes for that application via the spreadsheet provided by the VPP program. I then run a prepare cycle on 30 iPad2's with a MacBook Pro laptop (running Lion 10.7.3), Apple Configurator 1.0.1, and a Bretford cart without Supervised Mode. However, after successful import of the spreadsheet and multiple test runs, the first out of forty is still claimed, and I only have 39 of 40 available. This runs contrary to what I have read from official Apple knowledgebase articles, such as HT5188:

"Use the first redemption code in your spreadsheet to purchase the app in iTunes. Apple Configurator will automatically reassign this code to one of your devices."

Anyone had any luck here? I specifically started playing with this stuff with 1.0.1, not 1.0, so I did not have to worry about redemption outside of Supervision.

alexanderstein: Added more info to clarify process and issue.

iPad 2, iOS 5.0.1, Lion 10.7.3 & Configurator 1.0.1

Posted on May 9, 2012 3:45 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 9, 2012 5:31 AM

I guess I should have searched more, but it would appear (if others have as much luck as me) that this is a known issue and Apple's documentation is wrong, their code defective, or both. In either event, you will have to pay for the initial activiation code/download just to get it into Apple Configurator, as others mentioned here on the forums.

Thanks again, Apple.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 9, 2012 5:31 AM in response to alexanderstein

I guess I should have searched more, but it would appear (if others have as much luck as me) that this is a known issue and Apple's documentation is wrong, their code defective, or both. In either event, you will have to pay for the initial activiation code/download just to get it into Apple Configurator, as others mentioned here on the forums.

Thanks again, Apple.

Jul 2, 2013 8:20 AM in response to alexanderstein

I used my first VPP code in iTunes to download the app (click on account name to find hidden menu with Redeem option!)

Having read around the Internet (widely, like everyone else seems to have to do in order to unpick this arcane art), I thought that I had to redownload the spreadsheet to get a fresh copy with a new code - no luck with that. I pressed on in Configurator anyway - adding the app, importing the codes (I only had two, and one was used up as described). To my surprise and, yes, delight I was allocated the full complement of purchaseds codes. Might this, just possibly, be a deliberate improvement?

Apple Configurator 1.3, other stuff current at the time of writing. I appreciate that this is an old thread, but maybe someone will come across this tidbit and find it saves them some time.

PS Now onto having problems redeeming the codes! Wanted to get that in before my post is frozen!

VPP Redeem Code Not Returned After First Import into Configurator 1.0.1

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.