11 Replies Latest reply: May 9, 2012 1:54 PM by Texas Mac Man
bruschi54 Level 1 Level 1

I'm assuming that I need to purchase a new lap top in order to use mac os 10.5 or greater. I'm currently using a powerbook g4 10.4.11.

PowerBook, Mac OS X (10.4.11)
  • Allan Eckert Level 9 Level 9
    expertise.notebooks
    Notebooks

Your PowerBook should be able to run 10.5.8.

If you need anything newer then that then you need a new MacBook Pro instead.

Allan

• bruschi54 Level 1 Level 1

What is that program called? and I tried downloading the general 10.5 and my system apparently doesn't have the requirements.

Machine Name:PowerBook G4 12"
      Machine Model:PowerBook6,8
      CPU Type:PowerPC G4  (1.5)
      Number Of CPUs:1
      CPU Speed:1.5 GHz
      L2 Cache (per CPU):512 KB
      Memory:1.25 GB
      Bus Speed:167 MHz
      Boot ROM Version:4.9.0f0
      Serial Number:4H6120EURJ5

Sudden Motion Sensor:

State:Enabled
      Version:1.0
    expertise.notebooks
    Notebooks

OS X 10.5 requires

• A Mac computer with an Intel, PowerPC G5, or Power PC G4 (867 MHz or faster) processor
    • 512 MB memory or more
    • A DVD drive for installation
    • 9 GB of available disk space or more

So it appears your Mac meets that.

OS X 10.5 upgrade can't be downloaded. You must purchase the Leopard DVDs in order to do the upgrade.

Where are you downloading from and exactly what are you downloading?

Allan

I tried downloading from the apple site itself(10.5). I purchased the snowleopard and tried unsuccessfuly because of my immature system requirements and realized I needed the 10.5 first. I went to the apple store in mall and they also informed me that once the g4 was created and stopped manufaturing apple stopped makeing programs for it. In order for me to use 10.5 or higher I needed to purchase a new apple book of some sorts orpay a grandforthe tech team to install a new processor. Was that a lie? If I only need topurchase the dvds 10.5 I'll doit. If or when I do, will it open the doors for further upgrades?

• a brody Level 9 Level 9
    expertise.classicmacos
    Classic Mac OS
    expertise.notebooks
    Notebooks

Your Mac with the PowerPC G4 processor will not run Snow Leopard.

Snow Leopard requires an Intel processor.

The downloads from Apple for 10.5 are upgrades. They require you to have 10.5 running in order for it to be upgraded. In order for you to get 10.5 you must start with a DVD first.

Allan

Knowing that my mac doesn't have an intel processor my latest updated program will forever remain a 10.4.11 unless I pay **** loads to config my powerbook w/ an intel. I was hoping there was a loop hole around this considering all the tech-heads out there finding great ways to improve for no $$ or less. I thank you all that responded and gave advise to a virgin comp. geek like myself...

expertise.notebooks
    Notebooks

bruschi54 wrote:

Knowing that my mac doesn't have an intel processor my latest updated program will forever remain a 10.4.11 unless I pay **** loads to config my powerbook w/ an intel. I was hoping there was a loop hole around this considering all the tech-heads out there finding great ways to improve for no $$ or less. I thank you all that responded and gave advise to a virgin comp. geek like myself...

There is no way to configure your PowerBook to Intel.

There are no loop holes to get around the need for Intel processors to run the newer version OS X. If you need to use a newer version of OS X, you are going to have to replace your Mac with one that has an Intel processor. It is that simple.

Allan

expertise.classicmacos
    Classic Mac OS

10.5.8 is the maximum operating system for any G4 or G5 with 867 Mhz (1 Ghz) or greater. 10.6 requires an Intel processor and 1 GB of RAM. 10.7 requires an Intel Core2Duo, Xeon, or i processor and 2 GB of RAM.

expertise.classicmacos
    Classic Mac OS

Lastly, if you do get an Intel Mac, be sure to read this tip:

https://discussions.apple.com/docs/DOC-2295

• Texas Mac Man Level 8 Level 8

Leopard is no longer available at the Apple Store but may be available by calling Apple Phone Sales @ 1-800-MY-APPLE (1-800-692-7753).

If you can't obtain a retail install DVD from Apple, look on eBay or Google the installer part numbers to possibly find at an on-line store. Here's what to look for:

MB427Z/A  Leopard 10.5.1 install DVD

MB576Z/A  Leopard 10.5.4 install DVD

MB021Z/A  Leopard 10.5.6 install DVD (single user)

MB022Z/A  Leopard 10.5.6 install DVD (5-user family pack)

Installing Mac OS X 10.5 Leopard

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1544

Mac OS X 10.5 Leopard Installation and Setup Guide

http://manuals.info.apple.com/en/leopard_install-setup.pdf

After you install the base 10.5, download & install the 10.5.8 combo update at http://support.apple.com/downloads/Mac_OS_X_10_5_8_Combo_Update

The DVD should look like this

leopard.jpg

Caution - Leopard does not support classic mode. So, if you currently open OS 9 apps in classic mode, you won't be able to do this if you upgrade to Leopard.

 Cheers, Tom