Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Cannot reinstall Mac OS X after 7 pass erase

I cannot understand why I am unable to reinstall my Mac OS X installation disk 1 after performing a 7 pass erase. I kept the installation disk in the computer because iMac would not allow me to eject it. Plus I needed the installation disk in my computer to perform the erase in Disk Utility.

Can anyone shed light on this and did I erase the entire installation disk?

iMac, Mac OS X (10.6.8)

Posted on May 9, 2012 8:52 AM

13 replies

May 9, 2012 9:18 AM in response to Jus1Tami

'C' key doesn't always work. Sometimes you need to use the Option key. If a 7 pass erase doesn't work, the hard drive probably is dead, unless you properly formatted the drive for the operating system. You should select under the Options in Partition GUID if you are installing 10.6 or later. NTFS, FAT32 and Apple Partition Map won't install 10.6.

May 9, 2012 9:50 AM in response to a brody

I held the option key and now see a disc and wording that reads Mac OS X Install Disc 1, but when I clicked on the up arrow it went through its rebooting changes and repeated the same error message, Mac OS X cannot be installed on this computer. My computer also will not eject the disc no matter how much I push the eject button.

May 9, 2012 9:58 AM in response to Jus1Tami

https://discussions.apple.com/docs/DOC-1015 explains how to eject the disc. The Mac OS X can't be installed on this computer typically is caused by one of five factors:

1. An improperly formatted hard drive: https://discussions.apple.com/docs/DOC-3003

2. A system specific disk from another Mac trying to be installed on any a Mac of a different vintage or model.

3. A damaged hard drive.

4. A Mac that is too new to accept the operating system in question. Macs typically can only install the retail installer that is newer than they are, and the installer that shipped with them.

5. A Mac that is too old to accept the operating system in question. Double check the system requirements of the operating system you are about to install.

May 9, 2012 10:03 AM in response to a brody

Ok. I purchased this in September of 2008, so I don't know if that constitutes as being fairly new or in computer years old because I got four years on it. Number 2 is eliminated and until I read the links you provided, I am probably looking at number 3 and 1, but honestly don't know how that would happen. I am not that computer saavy to damage anything. I barely made use of everything on this one.

May 9, 2012 10:08 AM in response to Jus1Tami

OK, all iMacs by 2008 are 10.7 compatible and 10.6 compatible. September 2008, Mac OS X 10.5.4 retail was already released, so you can't use it. You can use 10.5.6 retail, 10.6 retail, 10.6.3 retail, or 10.7 retail, or the original installer discs that came with the iMac to install 10.5 on it. If it is a different Mac model the installer disc scenario may differ.

Cannot reinstall Mac OS X after 7 pass erase

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.