6 Replies Latest reply: Jan 28, 2013 12:09 PM by scornish1
nancyinaz Level 1 Level 1

If I set my macbook to sleep when not in use, when I wake it up, it has lost its wireless connection. I am asked for my wireless password, and after entering it I get "connection timeout." The only way to get the connection back is to restart the computer. I am at a loss on how to fix this. Can anyone offer advice?

MacBook, Mac OS X (10.6.8)
Solved by nancyinaz on May 15, 2012 11:16 AM Solved

Hooray! It appears to be resolved. Thanks for your advice.

• Tesserax Level 9 Level 9
    expertise.wireless
    Wireless

Try the following, in order, until (hopefully) resolved:

1a. Delete Preferred Network(s)

• System Preferences > Network > AirPort > Advanced > AirPort tab
    • Under "Preferred Networks," delete the network(s) you regularly use from the list.

1b. Delete AirPort Keychain Entries

• Launch the "Keychain Access" application located in Applications/Utilties.
    • Click on the "Kind" filter at the top, and look for any "AirPort network password" entries...and delete them.

1c. Add Preferred Network(s)

• Add the preferred network(s) using the "+" button.
    • Restart or log out then back in.

2. Move System Configuration Files (optional; only perform this step if the issue is not resolved in the above steps)

(Note: You will have to reestablish your network connections settings.)

• Go to /Library/Preferences
    • Move the SystemConfiguration folder to the desktop.
    • Restart your Mac. (Note: OS X will rebuild the files that are now sitting on your desktop. If this doesn't resolve the issue, you can move the folder back to it's original location.)

• nancyinaz Level 1 Level 1

Thanks for your response. I followed your instruction 1a thru 1c to no avail--still loses the connection after sleep. I am a little nervous about suggestion 2. Exactly what will be required to reestablish my network connection settings?

• Tesserax Level 9 Level 9
    expertise.wireless
    Wireless

Item 2 would require you to re-enter the Network Name & password when attempting to connect. Not a major issue, just wanted to make you aware that it would be required.

Also, even though OS X will rebuild the file automatically, you can always move the folder back to its original location if the problem is not resolved.

• nancyinaz Level 1 Level 1

Hooray! It appears to be resolved. Thanks for your advice.

• HACKINT0SH Level 5 Level 5

10.7.4 fixes some of the notebooks that were having this sleep issue. Sorry I wasn't sooner.

• scornish1 Level 1 Level 1

Thanks so much for 1a - 1c.  This solved a problem which was becoming increasingly more irritating!

Tesserax wrote:

Try the following, in order, until (hopefully) resolved:

1a. Delete Preferred Network(s)

• Under "Preferred Networks," delete the network(s) you regularly use from the list.

1b. Delete AirPort Keychain Entries

• Launch the "Keychain Access" application located in Applications/Utilties.
    • Click on the "Kind" filter at the top, and look for any "AirPort network password" entries...and delete them.

1c. Add Preferred Network(s)

• Add the preferred network(s) using the "+" button.
    • Restart or log out then back in.

2. Move System Configuration Files (optional; only perform this step if the issue is not resolved in the above steps)

(Note: You will have to reestablish your network connections settings.)

• Go to /Library/Preferences
    • Move the SystemConfiguration folder to the desktop.
    • Restart your Mac. (Note: OS X will rebuild the files that are now sitting on your desktop. If this doesn't resolve the issue, you can move the folder back to it's original location.)