Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

how to change Airport Extreme from 40bitWEP to 128bitWEP?

This is what Sony suggested so I would be able to use my HDTV using Airport??

Posted on May 9, 2012 12:07 PM

19 replies

May 10, 2012 9:13 PM in response to Zimmer1956

Ok, I just verified with v6.0 of the AirPort Utility, if you hold down the Option key before selecting the Radio Mode, you will get a dozen or more mode option ... including those without any "n" option for either radio. You will find this option from the Wireless tab, then Wireless Options.

Once you select a non-"n" mode, like: 802.11a - 802.11g only, you should now have the 40- & 128-bit WEP options.

May 11, 2012 9:10 AM in response to Tesserax

I tried each item and identified the apple network on a couple but did not connect. Before option key choice I looked at the radios and there was a 40 and a 128 option. I checked on the 128 and received a message that I didn't enter a valid WEP128 key. There isn't anywhere to enter that in airport, but I noticed the Sony setup asking for a wep key which was generated - perhaps I enter that key on the sony setup and then try the 128 setup with airport - any ideas??

May 11, 2012 9:20 AM in response to Zimmer1956

The WEP standard provides support for either:

• A 10 hexidecimal digit or 5 ASCII character key for 40-bit WEP, OR
  • A 26 hexidecimal digit or 13 ASCII character key for 128-bit WEP

In order to make things easier, vendors use certain algorithms to convert simple alphanumeric passwords (or passphrases) into HEX keys, thus enabling the use of simple easy to remember WEP password rather than lengthy HEX keys. The problem is that different vendors use different algorithms to generate the HEX key and therefore a ASCII password on an AirPort Express will be hashed differently than on a non-Apple client and vice versa.

You may find the following Apple Support article helpful: AirPort: Joining an encrypted WEP or WPA Wi-Fi Network

Ok, with all that said, you may want to consider (as HACKINTOSH as eluded to) not using WEP at all. This would be for two reasons: 1) The difficulty of setting WEP for wireless security between different vendor products, and 2) WEP today offer little or no security whatsoever.

I would suggest reviewing your Sony's user guide to find out what wireless security standards that is supports other than WEP. Ideally it will be WPA or WPA2. In addition, some consumer devices also support another standard, that is called WPS. WPS uses WPA but attempts to simplify getting two devices to connect to each other by a a more "automated" method. However, not all networking devices support WPS. The AirPorts have a very limited support for WPS.

May 11, 2012 9:44 AM in response to Tesserax

thanks - I am going to try a few things. It asked if the airport supported WPS. I may just get a router and set the tv as a wired lan or may try a few other isea. I really THANK YOU for your assistance!

when I stary airport utility, it does not ask for a password - you mentioned the airport menu bar and a login appears - I do not see that at all...

how to change Airport Extreme from 40bitWEP to 128bitWEP?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.