Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Getting old iCal alerts

My iCal has sometimes sent me hundreds of old iCal alerts (I have them directed to my main email in Tbird, which is usually convenient).

I do the usual:

• repair permissions
  • restart
  • quit and relaunch affected apps

No joy.

Please advise.

Macbook 2.4Ghz (White) 4GB RAM, Mac OS X (10.6.4), Logic Studio 8, Safari 5.0.2, iLife 08, iWork 08, Aperture 2

Posted on May 9, 2012 12:45 PM

7 replies

May 22, 2012 9:41 AM in response to jeff pa

Ok. I discovered that my ~/Library folder and all the folders under it had an extended security attribute the prevented everyone from deleting. I'm not really sure how I managed to get that set, but that's a worry for another day.

I discovered this by running:

ls -l /Users/<username>/Library

and is showed -rwx------+ for almost all the folders

Running the following:

ls -laed /Users
/<username>
/Library

resulted in '0: group:everyone deny delete' I'm pretty sure explicit deny permissions always override allow permissions so I removed this extended attribute by running:

chmod -RN /Users
/<username>
/Library

This command recursively(R) Removes(N) the extended security attributes. After this I opened iCal and got my Alerts. Then I Logged off and back on and opened iCal. No more old Alerts!!!! This also fixed my problem of not being able to reorder my dock icons and Finder Sidebar.

I hope this helps.

Getting old iCal alerts

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.