Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

what is ipsw?

i was ask to remove the IPSW before restoring my iphone4s but i don`t know the meaning of IPSW and also i don`t know how to do it. please help me

iPhone 4S, Windows Vista

Posted on May 9, 2012 2:08 PM

1 reply

May 9, 2012 2:28 PM in response to don amaka

Here's a cut and paste of the relevant instructions from the iTunes: Specific update-and-restore error messages and advanced troubleshooting document.

Rename, move, or delete the iOS software file (.ipsw)

iTunes uses "ipsw" files to restore your iPod or iPhone. If those files are unusable, then try deleting them, renaming them, or moving the file to a different directory. This will cause iTunes to download a new copy of the IPSW. When a restore issue is specific to a user, it is likely due to an unusable .ipsw file. If removing the .ipsw file does not resolve a user-specific restore issue, then the issue is caused by other user-specific security software settings or iTunes preferences. Creating a new user will also cause new .ipsw restore files to be downloaded in the new user. You can find the ".ipsw" files in these locations:

Mac OS X

iPhone
~/Library/iTunes/iPhone Software Updates
iPad
~/Library/iTunes/iPad Software Updates
iPod touch
~/Library/iTunes/iPod Software Updates
Note: The tilde "~" represents your Home directory.

Windows XP

iPhone
C:\Documents and Settings\[username]\Application Data\Apple Computer\iTunes\iPhone Software Updates
iPad
C:\Documents and Settings\[username]\Application Data\Apple Computer\iTunes\iPad Software Updates
iPod touch
C:\Documents and Settings\[username]\Application Data\Apple Computer\iTunes\iPod Software Updates
Note: If you don't see the Application Data folder, you may need to show hidden files.

Windows 7 and Vista

iPhoneC:\Users\[username]\AppData\Roaming\Apple Computer\iTunes\iPhone Software Updates
iPadC:\Users\[username]\AppData\Roaming\Apple Computer\iTunes\iPad Software Updates
iPod touchC:\Users\[username]\AppData\Roaming\Apple Computer\iTunes\iPod Software Updates
Note: If you don't see the AppData folder, you may need to show hidden files.

what is ipsw?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.