Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Replacing the internal hard drive???

Hello,

I'm going to to replacing my internal hard drive (R.I.P.) and I'm looking for advice on the best one to choose.

The machine is a 2.16 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo from 2007 (I think that is the right year anyway).

Are hard drives in Mac's the same as PCs? I had assumed they are, but surfing around some sites like Western Digital there are extenal drives that are specified for Macs. I just want to be sure.

Could my Mac handle a 2TB hard drive? Or should I go for a smaller capacity?

I have a preference for Western Digital, based on passed experience, though I am not limited to that if someone has a better suggestion.

If I go for a 2TB Western Digital, my choices seem to be the WD Caviar Green and the WD Caviar Black.

Does anybody have any suggestions or advice?

Cheers

Posted on May 9, 2012 2:48 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 9, 2012 2:54 PM

Stay away from any "green" drives. You can install up to 3 TBs (I don't think 4 TB drives are yet available.) Disassembling an iMac is not a trivial task. I would visit OWC to find suitable drives and tutorials. OWC also sells drives with toolkits needed for the specific computer model.

Personally, I'd avoid WD drives. WD is not the best supporter of Macs. I would stick to Seagate, Hitachi, or Samsung for large capacity drives. Stay away from drives that have built-in sudden motion detection as these conflict with the SMS in the computer. If a drive has a SMS then be sure you can disable it via software from the manufacturer or by configuration jumpers on the drive.

38 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 9, 2012 2:54 PM in response to NeddySeagoon

Stay away from any "green" drives. You can install up to 3 TBs (I don't think 4 TB drives are yet available.) Disassembling an iMac is not a trivial task. I would visit OWC to find suitable drives and tutorials. OWC also sells drives with toolkits needed for the specific computer model.

Personally, I'd avoid WD drives. WD is not the best supporter of Macs. I would stick to Seagate, Hitachi, or Samsung for large capacity drives. Stay away from drives that have built-in sudden motion detection as these conflict with the SMS in the computer. If a drive has a SMS then be sure you can disable it via software from the manufacturer or by configuration jumpers on the drive.

May 9, 2012 3:04 PM in response to NeddySeagoon

Samsung F3 Spinpoint 500 GB or 1 TB have an excellent reputation. If you install a 2 TB and actually intend to use all that capacity, you will need an external drive -- stay far away from WD externals, although the Caviar Black internals have a good reputation -- of equivalent capacity for a clone, or much more for use as a Time Machine backup. The Samsung's are much better value. Probably not going to be around that much longer, at least in those designs, since Seagate gobbled them up.

Always a good idea to check out the reviews at newegg.com.

May 9, 2012 3:13 PM in response to NeddySeagoon

Since you seem to want to keep your iMac have you considered a SSD? I put one in my 2008 and the speed is great! It rivals my MacBook Air for startup and application launch.

These two guys hammered me earlier due toa heat sensor built into the HDs on 2009 & 2010 models, but yours sounds like a great candidate. I'm using Firewire 800 cradles for 3TB of storage and the Firewire seems fast enough for my clips and photos.

I'm not selling anything, I'm just VERY pleased with the SSD upgrade.

May 9, 2012 3:20 PM in response to RRFS

RRFS wrote:

Since you seem to want to keep your iMac have you considered a SSD? I put one in my 2008 and the speed is great! It rivals my MacBook Air for startup and application launch.

These two guys hammered me earlier due toa heat sensor built into the HDs on 2009 & 2010 models, but yours sounds like a great candidate. I'm using Firewire 800 cradles for 3TB of storage and the Firewire seems fast enough for my clips and photos.

I'm not selling anything, I'm just VERY pleased with the SSD upgrade.

Hi, RRFS. I was just reading a review the Samsung F3 that WZZZ suggested and they mention SSD. What is that?

May 9, 2012 3:22 PM in response to Kappy

Kappy wrote:

SMS or Sudden Motion Sensor is a mechanism that detects any type of motion that might cause damage to the drive heads and parks them automatically to prevent such damage. Some drives have an SMS built-in to the drive. Macs, however, have their own built-in SMS.

Thanks Kappy. So I need a hard drive that doesn't sudden motion detection?

May 9, 2012 3:27 PM in response to NeddySeagoon

Solid State Drives. They are both physically smaller and hold less data 60GB-560GB and they can get pricey but the read write speeds are 10 or more times faster. My unit runs much cooler than with the 500GB drive I had before and with 128GB for Applications and file swapping internally and 3TB for Storage Externally I'm a happy camper. I used a Crucial 128SSD and maxed my memory while I was at it. I'm keeping it for as long as they make software for it now.

May 9, 2012 3:33 PM in response to RRFS

RRFS wrote:

Solid State Drives. They are both physically smaller and hold less data 60GB-560GB and they can get pricey but the read write speeds are 10 or more times faster. My unit runs much cooler than with the 500GB drive I had before and with 128GB for Applications and file swapping internally and 3TB for Storage Externally I'm a happy camper. I used a Crucial 128SSD and maxed my memory while I was at it. I'm keeping it for as long as they make software for it now.

I did some quick googling RRFS.

Thanks for the info, but I had better stick with HDD. I'd be much less confident trying to install it.

Cheers though.😉

Replacing the internal hard drive???

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.