Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

After 10.7.4 update my macbook pro doesn't boot

On safe mode i can boot but the computer shut down automatically after 3 minute !

On the normal boot - i see the wheel running, running and running and the computer shut down without booting.

On the console mode i can check (fsck -fy) the disk (no error) but after i cannot boot !

Thanks for help !

macbook Pro 17" Build9l31a, Mac OS X (10.6.2), ibook G3, ibook G4 14

Posted on May 9, 2012 4:16 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 9, 2012 4:20 PM

Reinstalling Lion Without Erasing the Drive

Boot to the Recovery HD: Restart the computer and after the chime press and hold down the COMMAND and R keys until the menu screen appears. Alternatively, restart the computer and after the chime press and hold down the OPTION key until the boot manager screen appears. Select the Recovery HD and click on the downward pointing arrow button.

Repair the Hard Drive and Permissions: Upon startup select Disk Utility from the main menu. Repair the Hard Drive and Permissions as follows.

When the recovery menu appears select Disk Utility. After DU loads select your hard drive entry (mfgr.'s ID and drive size) from the the left side list. In the DU status area you will see an entry for the S.M.A.R.T. status of the hard drive. If it does not say "Verified" then the hard drive is failing or failed. (SMART status is not reported on external Firewire or USB drives.) If the drive is "Verified" then select your OS X volume from the list on the left (sub-entry below the drive entry,) click on the First Aid tab, then click on the Repair Disk button. If DU reports any errors that have been fixed, then re-run Repair Disk until no errors are reported. If no errors are reported click on the Repair Permissions button. Wait until the operation completes, then quit DU and return to the main menu.

Reinstall Lion: Select Reinstall Lion and click on the Continue button.

Note: You can also re-download the Lion installer by opening the App Store application. Hold down the OPTION key and click on the Purchases icon in the toolbar. You should now see an active Install button to the right of your Lion purchase entry. There are situations in which this will not work. For example, if you are already booted into the Lion you originally purchased with your Apple ID or if an instance of the Lion installer is located anywhere on your computer.

You should then be able to install the 10.7.4 update - OS X Lion Update 10.7.4 (Client Combo).

58 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 9, 2012 4:20 PM in response to Bloblo63

Reinstalling Lion Without Erasing the Drive

Boot to the Recovery HD: Restart the computer and after the chime press and hold down the COMMAND and R keys until the menu screen appears. Alternatively, restart the computer and after the chime press and hold down the OPTION key until the boot manager screen appears. Select the Recovery HD and click on the downward pointing arrow button.

Repair the Hard Drive and Permissions: Upon startup select Disk Utility from the main menu. Repair the Hard Drive and Permissions as follows.

When the recovery menu appears select Disk Utility. After DU loads select your hard drive entry (mfgr.'s ID and drive size) from the the left side list. In the DU status area you will see an entry for the S.M.A.R.T. status of the hard drive. If it does not say "Verified" then the hard drive is failing or failed. (SMART status is not reported on external Firewire or USB drives.) If the drive is "Verified" then select your OS X volume from the list on the left (sub-entry below the drive entry,) click on the First Aid tab, then click on the Repair Disk button. If DU reports any errors that have been fixed, then re-run Repair Disk until no errors are reported. If no errors are reported click on the Repair Permissions button. Wait until the operation completes, then quit DU and return to the main menu.

Reinstall Lion: Select Reinstall Lion and click on the Continue button.

Note: You can also re-download the Lion installer by opening the App Store application. Hold down the OPTION key and click on the Purchases icon in the toolbar. You should now see an active Install button to the right of your Lion purchase entry. There are situations in which this will not work. For example, if you are already booted into the Lion you originally purchased with your Apple ID or if an instance of the Lion installer is located anywhere on your computer.

You should then be able to install the 10.7.4 update - OS X Lion Update 10.7.4 (Client Combo).

May 9, 2012 10:05 PM in response to Bloblo63

Same issue here: 13" mbp core2duo 2.13 GHz / 8GB Ram. Small difference is that it hasn't rebooted yet, after performing the update. The installer-/updater-progress looked totally normal, and the process took a few minutes. When it was done, appearantly it was preparing for a reboot, but it never got further than a light-gray screen with spinning progressindicator - wheel... which it is already showing for the past 2 hours or so. probably i'll just have to see if it will reboot at all, and if not, go through the pain of doing a clean install.. (which i wasn't exactly anticipating or hoping for)

May 9, 2012 11:15 PM in response to Purd

I can press Shiuft and power on to boot into safe boot, then run permission repair. AFter that I run disk verify, it run but just shut down half way.

SO I try press command-R and power on, boot into single user mode, then do disk verify. \The verification is fine

But I still not able to boot into OSX it just start, show apple sign with spinning wheel and just shut off

Help please

Now I'm restoring from Time Machine

This is really bad

Help please

May 9, 2012 11:36 PM in response to Bloblo63

How did you update to 10.7.4? With Software Update? The delta installer?

Sometimes when using either of the above and there are problems, you can often resolve them by appling the Combo Update. For 10.7.4 it's here: http://support.apple.com/kb/DL1524

With the Combo Update, you can apply the same level on top of your current OS level/number. The trick however is you'll most likely need to boot from an external HD to run it, or connect the problematic Mac to another Mac via Firewire Target Disk mode to install it.

After 10.7.4 update my macbook pro doesn't boot

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.