Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Aspect Ratio in Numbers '09

Hello everyone I am having trouble creating a formula that will take pixel height in one column, pixel width in another and return an aspect ratio such as 3:2. New user to numbers. Can anyone help?

Mac Pro Quad, Mac OS X (10.6.2)

Posted on May 9, 2012 6:15 PM

5 replies

May 9, 2012 6:49 PM in response to bjphoto

aspect ratio is the ratio of the larger number to another generally scaled so that the bottom number is a whole (or integer) number.

Here is one way you can do this. I am presenting in one table for convenience of demonstration only:

User uploaded file

C3 contains the width

C4 contains the height

C5 is the ratio of W/H

C5=C3/C4

D5 thru P5 contain multiples of this ratio starting at one (1)

D5=$C$5*(COLUMN()-3)

select D5 and fill to the right as far as you like (I went to column Q)

D4=IF(INT((COLUMN()-3)*$C$5)=D5,(COLUMN()-3), "")

select D4 and fill to the right to the same column as the previous step

C7=MIN(D4:Q4)

C8=HLOOKUP(C7,D4:Q5, 2)&":"&C7

User uploaded file

May 9, 2012 7:26 PM in response to bjphoto

Try this.

Pixel counts in columns B2 and C2, formula in D2

D2: =B2/GCD(B2,C2)&":"&C2/GCD(B2,C2)

Filled down.

User uploaded file

Result is a text string. Full (Letter and number) cell reference required, as GCD will accept range arguments.

Error triangles are division by zero errors.

Formula in E2 is the workhorse in the one above: =GCD(B2,C2)

Regards,

Barry

May 10, 2012 7:03 AM in response to Barry

Barry,

That's a very good solution. I didn't get that far. I was hung up on "pixel height in one column, pixel width in another". Did the OP really mean pixel count rather than pixel height/width? Height and width are only rough indications of final aspect ratio, similarly for pixel count if the shape of the pixels is unknown. The pixel pitch is the more meaningful measurement.

In either case, if it's a measurement, and since measurements vary from the truth, we're unlikely to get a measure that will give us a clean 3:2 aspect ratio even if that was the designer's intent.

Jerry

May 10, 2012 10:26 AM in response to Jerrold Green1

Thanks Barry and Jerrld,

I am photographer sending a spreadsheet to a client by exporting metadata from within Aperture. Even though Aperture displays the Aspect Ratio in the image metada it will only export Pixel Width and Pixel Height. Since I am working with 1,000s of images typing it individually is a huge issue. I am definitely not as advanced in numbers as you guys are but I believe I can make Barry's formula work.

Thanks again to you all!!

Byron

Aspect Ratio in Numbers '09

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.