Related Article: Apple security releases

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

OS X Lion v10.7.4 Update

Do you guys recommend installing this update?

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.7.2)

Posted on May 9, 2012 7:44 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 9, 2012 8:17 PM

Let me ask you this.... do you enjoy unchecking the checkbox when you restart your system so you don't reopen windows when you login? If you do, you don't want 10.7.4. Of course there are other fixes and you can read about them here.

I have upgraded my MBP, a Lion clone to 10.7.4 and tomorrow my Mac Mini. So far, two updates have been great and no issues. I downloaded the 10.7.4 Client Combo and did not update via Software Update.

Your choice... your decision. No one else's.

15 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 9, 2012 8:17 PM in response to zyme

Let me ask you this.... do you enjoy unchecking the checkbox when you restart your system so you don't reopen windows when you login? If you do, you don't want 10.7.4. Of course there are other fixes and you can read about them here.

I have upgraded my MBP, a Lion clone to 10.7.4 and tomorrow my Mac Mini. So far, two updates have been great and no issues. I downloaded the 10.7.4 Client Combo and did not update via Software Update.

Your choice... your decision. No one else's.

Jun 25, 2012 6:28 AM in response to zyme

The client combo is an accumulation of all previous 10.7.x updates in addition to 10.7.4. Some people have issues with the delta updates from Software Update which is just the single update. I always use the client combo and have not had any issues. Other than combo (all previous updates) versus delta (single current update), the only other difference is download size. The delta updates are smaller.

Jun 25, 2012 7:43 AM in response to keg55

Thanks. 🙂

So, just to get this straight, let's say a 10.7.5 update comes out, you would still prefer installing the Client Combo version over the Delta Update? Since the Client Combo includes all the updates since 10.7.x, doesn't that mean you're reinstalling updates you've already installed? Why would that be better/safer?

Jun 25, 2012 8:00 AM in response to zyme

Yes, if a 10.7.5 update comes out, I'll download and install the client combo. I have always had good luck with those and eventhough it's installing all the previous updates too, I really don't notice any difference during installation.

I don't know if a client combo is any better or safer, but for me I have always done a combo update. The first time I installed a Snow Leopard update (delta) I experienced issues. I read where the client combo update could fix the issues and in my case it did. So, I've just stuck with the client combo installs.

Jun 28, 2012 9:36 PM in response to keg55

"Let me ask you this.... do you enjoy unchecking the checkbox when you restart your system so you don't reopen windows when you login? If you do, you don't want 10.7.4."

Quick question regarding the quote above. Will that checkbox still appear even after installing the update? Because I still see the checkbox whenever I shut down, I thought the update would've done away with that

since it always enables the "Reopen windows when logging back in" setting.

OS X Lion v10.7.4 Update

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.