Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

macbook pro usb ports not working

This just started about a month ago. When it first occured, I could restart the laptop and the ports would work. Now, no luck. Mac OS X - 10.6.8

Posted on May 9, 2012 8:19 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 4, 2017 11:45 AM

Solution found!!

Had the same persisting problem on a Mac Pro 3.1, which literally happened all of a sudden after a clean OS X install,

Had two OS Xs on two separate drives, reinstalled one but problem persisted.

I had tried:

Resetting PRAM.

Reset SMC.

Shut down/unplug-plug everything/restart.

Reinstall OS.

Update drivers/OS.

Extension USB cord.

Plugging USB hub/power device to force more power from the USB.

Reading countless articles on the topic.

None of those worked. Unlucky me.

Finally read that as a last resort to try & remove the CMOS battery (the battery on the mobo) & either reinsert the same or a new one (CR2032).

Unlucky me, the battery clip broke off & that was the last straw lol ..so I thought... F-it, I'm just gonna power it on as it is & see what happens!

Voila!! USB function restored with no battery at all, and so far...it's working just the same with no abnormal reaction to the lack of battery.

Tbh...I rather get errors & load drivers if need be, than not have a keyboard/mouse and be unable to control the Mac at all.

Try removing the battery & reinserting it, or just removing it all together & hopefully that fixes it for you all, just be careful as the top clip can easily break, and the solution to fix that is soldering...which I rather not attempt if it can be avoided.

Good luck!!

46 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 4, 2017 11:45 AM in response to Booze S

Solution found!!

Had the same persisting problem on a Mac Pro 3.1, which literally happened all of a sudden after a clean OS X install,

Had two OS Xs on two separate drives, reinstalled one but problem persisted.

I had tried:

Resetting PRAM.

Reset SMC.

Shut down/unplug-plug everything/restart.

Reinstall OS.

Update drivers/OS.

Extension USB cord.

Plugging USB hub/power device to force more power from the USB.

Reading countless articles on the topic.

None of those worked. Unlucky me.

Finally read that as a last resort to try & remove the CMOS battery (the battery on the mobo) & either reinsert the same or a new one (CR2032).

Unlucky me, the battery clip broke off & that was the last straw lol ..so I thought... F-it, I'm just gonna power it on as it is & see what happens!

Voila!! USB function restored with no battery at all, and so far...it's working just the same with no abnormal reaction to the lack of battery.

Tbh...I rather get errors & load drivers if need be, than not have a keyboard/mouse and be unable to control the Mac at all.

Try removing the battery & reinserting it, or just removing it all together & hopefully that fixes it for you all, just be careful as the top clip can easily break, and the solution to fix that is soldering...which I rather not attempt if it can be avoided.

Good luck!!

Aug 5, 2012 8:45 AM in response to Booze S

I've done everything, latest updates (both Lion and Mountain Lion), SMC, and PRAM. I have MBPR and both are working very well with everything. But the left one keeps reconnecting my iPhone 4S (iOS 6 Beta3) every 20 seconds. It doesn't do it with other iPhone 4 or iPod touch.

It's strange and don't know what to do.

macbook pro usb ports not working

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.