Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

very long time to boot up

My computer is taking a really long time to boot boot up recently. I looked around, and tried many of the suggested things including repairing disk permissions, clearing the PRAM, and running the fsck command in single user mode. I dont believe any of the bootup items i have are the issue. Does any else have any other suggestions? I hearded that this might be a warning sign that the hard drive is starting to go, could this be the case? Thanks

iPhone 3G, Mac OS X (10.7.3), QuickTime Player Version 10.1 (501.

Posted on May 9, 2012 7:50 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 9, 2012 7:54 PM

Hi P,

It could be the HD dying. Download and run SMART Utility.

4 replies

May 9, 2012 9:32 PM in response to Peterno3

Thank you both for the replys. I timed the startup, and it took almost exactly 5mins for the desktop to first appear, then another 1.5mins for the folders and menu bar to fully appear. I ran both SMART Utility, and the built in hardware checker, and the hard drive came back ok.

I finally figured out the answer though. It was a startup item, but not one of the normal ones under the Accounts section of System Preferences. I found a post online mentioning to clean out the "/Library/StartupItems" folder, and that fixed it. I'm not sure which item in there was the culprit, but now the desktop appears in only 1.5mins. Thanks for the help

very long time to boot up

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.