You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

how do I scan my computer for malware?

I have been reading about the adobe malware virus, and my computer actually found one and took care of it. But I was wondering if there is a way that I could scan for it myself.

Posted on May 9, 2012 10:22 PM

3 replies

May 9, 2012 10:26 PM in response to kelikinet

You can use Mac Malware Remover 1.1.1 to scan and remove trojans. However, if you have the Flashback Malware Removal Tool 1.0 from Apple installed, then you should be OK.

Helpful Links Regarding Flashback Trojan

A link to a great User Tip about the trojan: Flashback Trojan User Tip

A related link in the tip to a checker: Malware Checker Dowload Link

A Google search can reveal a variety of alternatives on how the remove the trojan should your computer get infected. This can get you started.

For now I recommend the User Tip from etressoft to detect and remove:

Checking for and removing the "Flashback" trojan

Kaspersky Flashback Trojan Site:Flashback Trojan Detection and Removal

Also see Apple's article About Flashback malware.

May 10, 2012 12:02 AM in response to kelikinet

kelikinet wrote:

I have been reading about the adobe malware virus, and my computer actually found one and took care of it. But I was wondering if there is a way that I could scan for it myself.

I'm not certain what you have been reading about. There are still no known Mac viruses, but there is other Mac malware out there and I'm quite sure none of it comes from Adobe.

You haven't said what OS you are using, but if it's a fully up-to-date 10.6.8 or above, then you are adequately protected against most anything that's been found out there as of today.

If you are running OS X 10.4.x to 10.6.7 and can upgrade to 10.6.8 then you should do so with all haste. If you have a MobileMe account you can get a free copy of 10.6 by logging into https://www.me.com/snow-leopard.

If you cannot upgrade and are concerned about the Flashback family of Trojans/Backdoors then the only tool I recommend is from F-Secure at http://www.f-secure.com/weblog/archives/00002346.html. There are a variety of issues with most of the other tools available.

May 10, 2012 2:03 AM in response to kelikinet

You will find this User Tip on Viruses, Trojan Detection and Removal, as well as general Internet Security and Privacy, useful:

https://discussions.apple.com/docs/DOC-2435

The User Tip (which you are welcome to print out and retain for future reference) seeks to offer guidance on the main security threats and how to avoid them, including how to prevent, detect and/or remove the Flashback Trojan.

how do I scan my computer for malware?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.