Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Google maps does not work

I have Snow Leopard 10.6.8 on my Macbook Pro. No matter which browser I use, Google maps will not render the map detail - instead it just shows the target location with a letter 'A' or whatever, but the background map is just grey with no features. It makes no difference how long I wait either. I have used the various features in browsers to clear out the 'junk' and have used 'reset safari' when in that browser, Still no joy. I have had the MBP for two years and I expect this simple feature to work as it does on all my Windows PC's and iPhone. I am at my wits end and feel somewhat duped into the Apple world by the triumph of 'form' over function. I want to love my MAC but it aggravates me instead because I spend too much time trying to figure out how to get basic features working when in fact they should work first time without user intervention.

Has anyone got a 5 minute fix for this ridiculous fault please? I cannot upload a screen grab either because (1) this Apple forum wont allow upload of my screengrabbed jpgs of tiffs, or (2) my MBP wont allow it (despite them being within the expected size limit). Another spectacular own goal by Apple.

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.6.8), 2.8Ghz Intel, 4Gb DDR

Posted on May 10, 2012 4:55 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 10, 2012 1:14 PM

Welcome to Apple Support Communities.

This is a user-to-user forum. Ranting fixes nothing.

What location are you trying to map? There are places still without detailed Google Maps in some views (*see examples below).

Could be a video hardware or video memory issue.

Which MacBook Pro model do you have? (, About This Mac, More Info..., Hardware, Graphics/Displays)

A model with two video chipsets perhaps?

Does the (Google Maps) Satellite, Terrain View, or Street View give different results for the same location(s)?

Does Mapquest or Bing Maps have the problem with the same location(s)?

-------

*This Map view image is slightly zoomed-in between mapped roads in Yosemite National Park.

User uploaded file

*Terrain View of the same location:

User uploaded file

33 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 10, 2012 1:14 PM in response to Cobalt19

Welcome to Apple Support Communities.

This is a user-to-user forum. Ranting fixes nothing.

What location are you trying to map? There are places still without detailed Google Maps in some views (*see examples below).

Could be a video hardware or video memory issue.

Which MacBook Pro model do you have? (, About This Mac, More Info..., Hardware, Graphics/Displays)

A model with two video chipsets perhaps?

Does the (Google Maps) Satellite, Terrain View, or Street View give different results for the same location(s)?

Does Mapquest or Bing Maps have the problem with the same location(s)?

-------

*This Map view image is slightly zoomed-in between mapped roads in Yosemite National Park.

User uploaded file

*Terrain View of the same location:

User uploaded file

May 10, 2012 1:51 PM in response to kostby

Thanks for your reply and for helping, but please dont lecture me about ranting as it takes all my effort to come down from the intense anger I feel toward Apple to be able to write anything on these forums. That's no criticism of you kind folks here by the way. That aside I will answer your good questions...

It makes no difference which locations I look at - I am using normal urban and sub-urban locations in mainlaind UK and anything inbetween. I am not choosing 'bare' backcountry locations and I know the difference, as you have so kindly illustrated in your screengrabs, between what Google maps look like when there is actually no detail to be mapped. Side by side my Windows PC's (I have three) all render the maps perfectly, as does my iPhone 4S.

My Mac details are as follows (screengrabs of System profiler here if it were not for the fact that this forum dissallows uploading them via Insert Image (or is it that my MAC can't even handle this simple task?...like some horrible joke I cant even show you an image of the problem!).

Its a 2010 (year) 2.8 GHz Intel Core Duo, 4Gb 1067 mHz DDR memory, 72000rpm HDD, NVIDIA GEFORCE 9400M graphics (PCI)/NVIDIA GEFORCE 9600M GT (PCIe).

As for MapQuest and Bing Maps being able to render the map detail on my MBP - the answer is NO - neither can do it - they suffer the same problem exactly.

Ideas?

May 11, 2012 8:50 AM in response to Cobalt19

Have you tried a PRAM and an SMC reset? They're longshots, but don't take long to try.

PRAM: http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1379

SMC: http://support.apple.com/kb/HT3964

Have you run Apple Diagnostics from the disc(s) that shipped with the computer?

Since the problem occurs in all browsers, it still sounds like a video hardware or video RAM or maybe a software issue having to do with layers and rendering.

The map layers aren't getting rendered, or if rendered, aren't getting displayed.

Do you have any browser add-ins? Pop-up blockers?

Since you have two video chipsets, it's possible that might be related to the issue.

This non-Apple website talks about switching between chipsets on the various MacBook models so equipped, and points to a free 'donationware' program for the menubar that lets you easily switch between chipsets:

http://www.everymac.com/systems/apple/macbook_pro/macbook-pro-unibody-faq/macboo k-pro-unibody-switching-between-graphics-processors.html

Trying to think of other software that might help pinpoint the problem, does the iPhoto Slideshow 'Shatter' template work? Working properly, it 'shatters' images into several color layers and rotates them in and out to build and deconstruct photos.

May 11, 2012 7:54 PM in response to ds store

Thank you each one of you for your suggestions here and for your generous time in trying to help me solve this problem. I have previewed the various main pages that you link to and I have realised that I dare not mess with any of this stuff for fear of destroying my data or my MAC. It looks very complex and if I make just one small mistake then presumably I could brick my MAC completely? I might have a go at Safe Mode and logging in as a different user as they seem to be low risk. I will report back after I have tried that.

May 11, 2012 8:12 PM in response to Cobalt19

UPDATE - I just tried logging into my MAC as a Guest and using Safari google maps worked FINE! How does that make sense? How can it work for one login and not the other? I suppose I should be pleased as I assume this means some of the possible issues that you have listed do not apply now - but which ones can be discounted please?

Also - a secondary question - what is the trick to being able to upload photos as inserts into this message? - I know where to click on the camera icon above etc but after following the process it disallows me to upload photos. Is this related to my other Google maps problem ( I am writing this via my main login where the maps doesnt work)?

May 11, 2012 9:38 PM in response to Cobalt19

UPDATE - I just tried logging into my MAC as a Guest and using Safari google maps worked FINE! How does that make sense? How can it work for one login and not the other?

That's why I asked you to try another account. There is some app or preference specifically in your account that is screwing things up.

So look at the simple things first. What's in your Account's login items? What files are in ~/Library/LaunchAgents (in your home directory)?

Also - a secondary question - what is the trick to being able to upload photos as inserts into this message? - I know where to click on the camera icon above etc but after following the process it disallows me to upload photos. Is this related to my other Google maps problem ( I am writing this via my main login where the maps doesnt work)?

Yes, the camera tool lets you "browse" for a gif, jpg, png, etc. which will then be included in the post.

That's not working too?

May 12, 2012 4:41 AM in response to X423424X

Hi - and thanks again

Ok - I have looked in Launchagents and there re two entries only.

Let me try to upload the screenhot I made of it again using this camera icon thing above....

...nope...wont let me do it - I can 'choose image' but then there is no opportunity to take the process further into 'insert image'. How useless is that?!

Anyway, the two entries in LaunchAgent are:

com.apple.CSConfi...Services.Agent.plist (dated 7 April 2010)

com.google.keystone.agent.plist (dated 1 July 2011)

I have no idea what any of this means! What do you think?

May 12, 2012 5:13 AM in response to Cobalt19

...nope...wont let me do it - I can 'choose image' but then there is no opportunity to take the process further into 'insert image'. How useless is that?!

You tried the following?

-Click the camera icon

-Select the file in "file upload" window

-Hit "Open"

-Select "Insert image"

Do you have JavaScript disabled in your browser? I don't think it's that, since I don't think the site would work at all if that were the case.

The Google file in question is used for the Chrome updater.

May 12, 2012 2:09 PM in response to WZZZ

When I click the camera icon I get a dialogue box titled Insert Image which has three tabs: From your computer; Uploaded Images; From the web

It defaults to teh first of these tabs in which sits a button called 'Choose File' which when clicked takes you to a finder type window - in my case 'Desktop'. Then I choose 'Insert Image' and volia! It now works....! Despite the fact that this is the exact sequence I followed ten times before which failed. This MAC is sick.User uploaded file

May 12, 2012 4:04 PM in response to Cobalt19

Cobalt19 wrote:

Ok - I have looked in Launchagents and there re two entries only.

But what is in your user account's login items?

Open System Preferences (it is an item on the Apple menu, among other places) & choose "Accounts." In that window click on your user account name on the left & then on the "Login Items" tab at the top right. You will probably see at least "iTunesHelper" listed.

What else is listed there?

May 13, 2012 1:44 AM in response to R C-R

Thanks - please see screenshot below....

....nope....the insert image function on this post has failed again....won't allow me to Insert Image after 'choosing' it (Insert Image just greyed out). Just as before.

Ok what's in that box you ask about...

• GrowlHelperApp
  • iTunesHelper
  • Canon IJ Network Scanner

That's it....

Google maps does not work

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.