Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

HD Discount for Movies Purchased in SD.

Is there any way to get a discount if buying the HD version of a movie purchased in SD because it was the only format offered at the time?

If not, what with every new release coming out in HD via Blu-Ray, it punishes people who are loyal to iTunes if they purchase the SD version on iTunes instead of purchasing the Blu-Ray, just because it isn't yet available. I understand the "if you buy a dvd, you don't get a discount on the Blu-Ray" argument, but this is different because the HD version is available at the time of release from other sources.

Posted on May 10, 2012 5:37 AM

8 replies

May 10, 2012 8:37 AM in response to jensonc

"Is there any way to get a discount if buying the HD version of a movie purchased in SD because it was the only format offered at the time?"

No.

" I understand the "if you buy a dvd, you don't get a discount on the Blu-Ray" argument, but this is different because the HD version is available at the time of release from other sources."

If you buy an SD DVD from Wal-Mart and Best Buy is carrying the Blu-Ray version, will Wal-mart give you a discount on the Blu-Ray when they finally get it? Of course not.

Itunes could ONLY offer this if the movie industry/distributors allowed it.

May 10, 2012 9:43 AM in response to roaminggnome

"If you buy an SD DVD from Wal-Mart and Best Buy is carrying the Blu-Ray version, will Wal-mart give you a discount on the Blu-Ray when they finally get it? Of course not.

Itunes could ONLY offer this if the movie industry/distributors allowed it."

Again, I understand the argument, but this isn't like Walmart and Best Buy so much as Walmart and Walmart. I'm saying because I bought it from the same source, it makes sense to offer a discount if I upgrade to a better version from the same source.

Obviously the movie studios would have to be on board, but the music industry agreed when upgrading song quality, so I'm only hoping the same logic would apply to movies and television.

On an unrelated note, saying things like "of course not" makes you sound a bit arrogant. Just because someone has a question doesn't mean they should be talked down to. And for the record, Disney has offered a discount in the past on an upgrade to Blu-Rays, provided you have proof that you've purchased the DVD (i.e. the one found on the actual dvd cover). The studio doesn't care where you bought it so much as that you bought it, and offer a discount since they realize you've already paid for it once. It's not an idea without logic or precident, and shouldn't be treated like one. I appreciate the effort to help, but not the tone.

May 10, 2012 9:50 AM in response to jensonc

Obviously the movie studios would have to be on board, but the music industry agreed when upgrading song quality, so I'm only hoping the same logic would apply to movies and television.

Unfortunately it doesn't and they are not on board. There is no discount for upgrading from SD to HD in the iTunes Store.

And for the record, Disney has offered a discount in the past on an upgrade to Blu-Rays, provided you have proof that you've purchased the DVD (i.e. the one found on the actual dvd cover). The studio doesn't care where you bought it so much as that you bought it, and offer a discount since they realize you've already paid for it once.

Just on that note, have you priced those "upgrades"? In almost all cases, the "upgrade" costs more, sometimes significantly more, than just going out and buying a new copy of the movie. So in many cases, at least, such offers are little more than window dressing.

Anyway, it matters not. There is no upgrade discount for the iTunes Store at present. Whether there ever will be is something none of us here can say.

Regards.

May 10, 2012 10:03 AM in response to varjak paw

Thank you for the honest and clear answers. I realized it was a long shot, since I could see no evidence in my own research; I was only hoping someone had experience communicating with the iTunes store team on whether it was done on a case by case basis, or if something was in the works. Again, a long shot, but I have a lot of iTunes SD movies that I purchased before the introuction of HD and am not looking forward to upgrading, although I probably will because I can't say no to HD.

Dec 2, 2013 9:50 AM in response to roaminggnome

I disagree that this is at all like buying physical media.

For a start, if you buy one song from an album, or episodes from a series, iTunes lets you complete the album. But you try taking in a cd single, or DVD of half a series to walmart and they won't discount the album, or series.

These are just bits on a hard drive. There's no physical medium to pay for, with distribution and shipping costs. Different rules manifestly do apply. You should be able to swap SD to HD for the price difference.

Dec 2, 2013 9:57 AM in response to maxmg123

Regardless of what you believe should be possible, the fact remains that you still cannot upgrade an SD copy to HD. Whether the iTunes Store, or any download movie store, will ever be able to offer such a service is something no one here can say. The movie studios would need to agree to allow it and they have zero incentive to agree.

And you replied to a post that was made a year and a half ago, just FYI.

Regards.

Dec 2, 2013 11:45 AM in response to maxmg123

You replied to a specific comment by roaminggnome that he made a long time ago. And I can't see that your coments added anything to the discussion, just opinions about what "should" be the case. So I don't agree that your comments are pertinent enough to warranty reactivating a 18-month-old thread.

As to a "precedent", if you are referring to "Complete My Album", that was made available only after a long negotiation and, as part of the agreement that they could drop copy protection, major pricing concessions by Apple. Again, the movie studios have no incentive to negotiate on such matters.

In any case, if you want to express your opinions, the best way if via Apple's feedback pages:

http://www.apple.com/feedback

These forums are for technical support, not discusisons about Apple's policies.

Regards.

HD Discount for Movies Purchased in SD.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.