Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

10.7.4 Update disables my custom login background

I've been using a custom login background tile by the usual method; replacing NSTexturedFullScreenBackgroundColor.png in System-->Library-->Frameworks-->AppKit.framework-->Versions-->C-->Resources. After the 10.7.4 update, my custom tile is still in the correct place, but the system is displaying the stock login background. Anyone else seeing this?

Mac Pro, Mac OS X (10.6), 8 x 2.8 GHz 10 GB RAM, Radeon 4870

Posted on May 10, 2012 4:31 PM

8 replies

May 11, 2012 11:57 AM in response to Mista2

To be honest, this was never an officially supported "feature" under Lion, and it is fairly well known (by me anyway) that as such, it is possibly going to be broken in a future update.

I do agree that it is necessary in some environments to assure the end user knows in no uncertain terms that the machine they are logging into is not "their property". The login text is insufficient for some users, as "who takes the time to read stuff?" (shrug) A custom login screen background introduces the user to that condition without assuming a level of attention that is not in evidence.

I also agree you should not HAVE to be a developer to change the basic OS environmental characteristics like backgrounds. It is, at the least, annoying.

10.7.4 Update disables my custom login background

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.