Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

10.7.4 updater left invisible dock url icons

After running the 10.7.4 combo updater on my10.7.3 iMac, the 5-6 URL icons (the @head key icon) on the right side of my dock have all becom tranparant or invisible. I can still click on them and see the web page title associated with each and they tell Safari the proper url address, but although they take space on the dock you see no icon image!

Repairing disk permissions did nothing. Going to download a new copy of the updater and run it again to see if that helps. Apple support had me delete the dock.plist file but that did not fix the problem as dragging a url from Safari to the dock still results in an invisible but functional icon.

Any ideas?

iMac, Mac OS X (10.7.3), iMac 21.5" i5; iPad 32Gb

Posted on May 10, 2012 6:09 PM

43 replies

May 10, 2012 11:01 PM in response to Larry Nolan

Larry Nolan wrote:

After running the 10.7.4 combo updater on my10.7.3 iMac, the 5-6 URL icons (the @head key icon) on the right side of my dock have all becom tranparant or invisible. I can still click on them and see the web page title associated with each and they tell Safari the proper url address, but although they take space on the dock you see no icon image!

Repairing disk permissions did nothing. Going to download a new copy of the updater and run it again to see if that helps. Apple support had me delete the dock.plist file but that did not fix the problem as dragging a url from Safari to the dock still results in an invisible but functional icon.

Any ideas?

Did you try control clicking to remove them. Then just drag a new http address down from the menu bar to reinstate.

May 11, 2012 1:26 AM in response to Larry Nolan

Same here -

Updated to 10.7.4 and on reboot ALL my URL link icons I had dragged down into the dock are MIA! The text for the icons still floats above spooky empty spaces where they were. Actually, they still are there, only now they're invisible. They still launch, I just can't see them. All other icons in dock are AOK. I've tried everything I know: kill/restart dock (many times), trash prefs (several times), I rebuilt every database in sight (launch database services, locate, whatis, etc.). I repaired permissions and ran DiskWarrior, all to no avail. Also, any new URLs I drag into the dock are invisible, too. Very odd, indeed.

I'm at my wit's end. This one is really driven' me nuts, I tells ya, nuts! There's gotta be a fix for this. Any help here will be greatly appreciated.

May 11, 2012 5:17 AM in response to Larry Nolan

Same thing happen to me and this is how I fixed it.

I cloned my OSX HD to another drive and booted from that drive. I erased the OSX HD drive and reinstalled OSX 7.0 that I had saved to the 2nd internal drive. When asked to copy my System and Home folder I used the copy of the OSX I had just made to copy them from. Skipped the Set Apple ID since I had this on the clone. After the installation was finished I repaired my permissions. Went to the Apple logo in the Menu and clicked on Software Update. After the update was finished I clicked on the update again to see if there was any more updates to do, there was one more. Repaired permissions again... I notice that the update did not ask to installed Safari 5.1.7, I still had 5.1.6. I downloaded the Safari update from Apple's site... This took about an hour to do and my iMac has never ran as fast as is is running now.

Safari update 5.1.6:

http://support.apple.com/kb/DL1531?viewlocale=en_US&locale=en_US

One side note; if you have any iDivices for example the iPad. And you sync and do backups to iTunes byway of wifi. You will to hookup the iDevice (one time) to the Mac so iTunes can recognize it.

I use the an app called Cocktail and I think it mess with System files (caches) that made this happen. OnyX is another popular program that a lot of people use. I made a test with my default settings in Cocktail and sure enough my dock URL icons disappeared. I did another test with amended setting and they didn't disappear. Of course this took some time to finger out. I'm going to send an email to the people who make Cocktail and explain this to them. (They had an update yesterday!!! Go figure…)

So, if you use Cocktail or Onyx you might want to hold off using them or some other program of this type. This worked for me, your milage may vary.

May 11, 2012 6:43 AM in response to Larry Nolan

repair problems with incorrect icons in OS X Rebuild LaunchServices Database

Open the Terminal application in your Utilities folder. At the prompt paste in the following command in its entirety:

/System/Library/Frameworks/CoreServices.framework/Versions/A/Frameworks/LaunchServices.framework/Versions/A/Support/lsregister -kill -r -domain local -domain system -domain user

Hit the Return/Enter key and let the process run it's course, it will put you back out at the prompt when complete, this can take several minute to complete.

Restart your mac.

May 11, 2012 7:17 AM in response to Larry Nolan

I found that my 10.7.4 Dock.app resources is missing the image file url.png.

I copied it from my wife's 10.7.3 system into /System/Library/CoreServices/Dock.app/Contents/Resources/, then in Terminal did the command : killall Dock. After the dock reappeared my invisible webloc icons had the @-on-a-spring icon visible again. Could have gotten it from my TimeMachine backup of 10.7.3 also I suppose.

To get to the Dock.app/Contents you have to examine the Dock.app package contents.

Also solves the invisible icon when dragging a URL onto the dock to create a new webloc.

May 11, 2012 11:31 AM in response to Larry Nolan

Jeesh! How did you figure this out?!? I followed your expert guidance and, lo, all is well and my little springy things done come back all shiny and go bloing-bloing plenty good! I can hardly believe it. It's a miracle, I tells ya.

Truly you are wise, Larry Nolan. We mortals may never know how you solved this great mystery for your knowledge and wisdom are deep.Your keen exploits will be reported to the High Council and songs of praise will be sung in your honor throughout the realm.

Hail, Larry Nolan....all hail! We salute you in the tradition of your people.🙂

May 11, 2012 11:59 AM in response to jimbo60640

jimbo,

as much as I'd like to be diety-like, I have to give credit to a web article I found on how to use the @-on-a-spring icon to replace the generic Safari icon for URLs that you drag to the desktop. It immediately clicked in my mind that if that url.png was missing there would be no icon to put on the dock and the article had given the file path to where url.png is stored in Dock.app's resources. Elementary sleuthing my dear Watson.

I've talked to Apple Support and they promised to pass this on to OS X engineers, and I updated my bug report as well.

10.7.4 updater left invisible dock url icons

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.