Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

how to remove macfuse and ntfs 3g on osx lion?

how can I remove macfuse and ntfs 3g on osx lion? It seems that macfuse and ntfs 3g causes os x lion some errors when I mount a ntfs drive unlike os x snow leopard.

MacBook Pro (13-inch Late 2011), Mac OS X (10.7.4)

Posted on May 10, 2012 6:51 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 10, 2012 7:04 PM

NTFS-3G can be easily uninstalled using the Uninstall NTFS-3G... button in the NTFS-3G preference pane, which should be available in System Preferences once you have installed the package. See section 4 for a description of the other features in the preference pane.
If this should fail for some reason, an uninstall script exists at the following location: /System/Library/Filesystems/ntfs-3g.fs/Support/uninstall-ntfs-3g.sh

20 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 10, 2012 7:04 PM in response to richardinterior

NTFS-3G can be easily uninstalled using the Uninstall NTFS-3G... button in the NTFS-3G preference pane, which should be available in System Preferences once you have installed the package. See section 4 for a description of the other features in the preference pane.
If this should fail for some reason, an uninstall script exists at the following location: /System/Library/Filesystems/ntfs-3g.fs/Support/uninstall-ntfs-3g.sh

May 10, 2012 7:34 PM in response to richardinterior

Try this:

2. Install/Uninstall Questions

Q 2.1. What is the preferred way to install MacFUSE?

A: The preferred way is to install the MacFUSE.pkg from the latest MacFUSE-<version>.dmg available from:

http://code.google.com/p/macfuse/downloads/list

Q 2.2. How can I keep MacFUSE up-to-date?

A: The tools to keep MacFUSE up-to-date (query the installed version, query for available updates, download and install updates, and so on) are built into MacFUSE. Simply launch the Mac OS X System Preferences application and go to the MacFUSE preference pane. It should tell you if there's and update and if so, will also let you download and install it.

Q 2.3. How can I uninstall MacFUSE?

A: Launch the Mac OS X System Preferences application and go to the MacFUSE preference pane. Click on the "Remove MacFUSE" button. This will uninstall all MacFUSE components except the preference pane itself.

You can keep the MacFUSE preference pane around should you decide to install MacFUSE again in the future. If you do wish to remove it, you do it just like how you would remove any other non-Apple preference pane: In System Preferences, control-click (right-click) on the MacFUSE icon and you will see "Remove ..." as an action.

Only if you had the "Show Beta Versions" button checked in the MacFUSE prefpane, you'll have a property list (plist) file remaining at this point:/Library/Preferences/com.google.macfuse.plist. To remove it, you should uncheck the button before you remove the prefpane as described above.

Note that an official (correct) MacFUSE installation will have a preference pane if you have MacFUSE 2.0 or later installed. If you have an older version of MacFUSE, you can uninstall as follows.

Sep 21, 2012 8:49 PM in response to richardinterior

Hi, i have a macbook pro 10.8 lion, and i have a ntfs seagate 1500 gb. I installed ntfs-3g to see if it would work, but it didnt, so i have deleted it from system preference, but when i plug my hardrive in it says

NTFS-3G could not mount /dev/disk1s1

at /Volumes/Kevin Achaia because the following problem occurred:

dyld: Library not loaded: /usr/local/lib/libfuse.2.dylib

Referenced from: /usr/local/bin/ntfs-3g

Reason: image not found

Someone please help me !

Ps; i also tried running the script thing but my computer isnt finding the file.

please help !

Oct 15, 2012 4:35 PM in response to Csound1

Hi! I have the same problem with the same error message when I try to connect the hardrive. I followed the instructions from the green ticked message. I removed the macfuse and NTFS-3G programmes both from the dock and system preferences, and the error message still there. Still can't even read the files on the hardrive now...

Any idea what I should do?

Oct 15, 2012 4:45 PM in response to Csound1

Yes, I'll remember that for sure! 😉 But I didn't think I would have to remove it in the first place. I thought it would solve my problem and allow me to transfer files from the mac to the hardrive...Now I don't even have access to the hardrive any more.

I have done what is said in the green tick message but I still have the same error message from above.

Oct 16, 2012 6:36 AM in response to tritina

tritina wrote:

Yes, I'll remember that for sure! 😉 But I didn't think I would have to remove it in the first place. I thought it would solve my problem and allow me to transfer files from the mac to the hardrive...Now I don't even have access to the hardrive any more.

I have done what is said in the green tick message but I still have the same error message from above.

Then you must consider restoring your system from a backup.

Oct 16, 2012 6:44 AM in response to richardinterior

What I did is I opened the terminal and type this:

defaults write com.apple.Finder AppleShowAllFiles YES <press enter>

killall Finder <press enter>

After that you navigate to you home folder and you will see the hidden Library folder, from that folder delete all files related to NTFS-3G and MacFuse.

You may re-hide the files by typing the same syntax and replacing "YES" with "NO"

This solved my problem with no errors. I hope this helps.

Now, I'm using Paragon for NTFS support in lion.

Oct 17, 2012 7:45 PM in response to richardinterior

Thanks, I found the terminal, I found the home folder, but unfortunately, I didn't find any files related to NTFS-3G nor Macfuse in the library folder. When I have time, I'll take the computer to the apple store and see what they can do...and then maybe I'll have to consider getting a device compatible with mac.

I don't want to try Paragon without being sure it can work despite the mess I did 😊 I'd better solve this issue first, I guess.

Nov 27, 2012 8:39 PM in response to richardinterior

Hi

If a graphic uninstaller from the system settings window doesn't work use a terminal window.

In the description below we uninstall three products (MacFUSE, OSXFUSE and NTFS 3G):

1. Access the root account. You will be prompted to enter your password:

sudo su

2. Execute uninstallation scripts:

/Library/Filesystems/osxfusefs.fs/Support/uninstall-macfuse-core.sh

/Library/Filesystems/osxfusefs.fs/Support/uninstall-osxfuse-core.sh

/System/Library/Filesystems/ntfs-3g.fs/Support/uninstall-package.sh

3. Additionally you can remove files and directories, that uninstallation scripts don't remove:

rm -r /Library/PreferencePanes/MacFUSE.prefPane

rm /Library/Preferences/com.google.macfuse.plist

rm /Library/Logs/ntfs-3g_util.log

rm /Library/Preferences/org.catacombae.macntfs-3g.DriverSettings.plist

rm /Library/Preferences/org.catacombae.macntfs-3g.DriverSettings.plist.lockfile

rm /private/var/run/ntfs-3g_daemon.pid

rm -r /private/var/root/Library/Caches/autoinstall-macfuse-core

rm -r /private/var/root/Library/Caches/autoinstall-macfuse-core

rm -r /Users/admin/Library/Caches/com.github.osxfuse.OSXFUSEPrefPane

4. Paranoically you can find and remove some other files:

find / -name "*macfuse*" -mount -print

find / -name "*osxfuse*" -mount -print

find / -name "*macfuse*" -mount -print -exec rm -r {} \;

find / -name "*osxfuse*" -mount -print -exec rm -r {} \;

how to remove macfuse and ntfs 3g on osx lion?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.