Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Taking my MacBook Pro abroad

When I go to Canada next month, I am planning on taking my late 2011 MacBook Pro (13 inch).

I have a few questions in regards to this:

-Do I have to delete certain files from the notebook (I assume you know what kind of files 😉 )

-Can it be operated at 35,000 feet (cruising alitutde for travelling to Canada)

-Will by power adapter work if I get a new cable for it (A cable, not a new brick)

Thanks a lot 🙂

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.7.3)

Posted on May 11, 2012 7:30 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 11, 2012 8:57 AM

I would delete only information that might be construed as compromising the national security of the USA or Canada or anything else that is patently illegal. If you are concerned about cultural or artistic information, I seriously doubt that anyone cares (provided is is legal).

Planes are pressurized so the the environment will represent an altitude of about 6000 feet so you should have no concerns in that respect.

The power adapter will work so long as you have a compatible cable. They are designed to work worldwide.

Ciao.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 11, 2012 8:57 AM in response to Curxxx

I would delete only information that might be construed as compromising the national security of the USA or Canada or anything else that is patently illegal. If you are concerned about cultural or artistic information, I seriously doubt that anyone cares (provided is is legal).

Planes are pressurized so the the environment will represent an altitude of about 6000 feet so you should have no concerns in that respect.

The power adapter will work so long as you have a compatible cable. They are designed to work worldwide.

Ciao.

May 11, 2012 9:09 AM in response to OGELTHORPE

-Will by power adapter work if I get a new cable for it (A cable, not a new brick)

Yes, but Canada uses the same 110Volt 60Hz with three-prong U-ground (same plug and same Voltage as US). So you do not need a new AC power cord.

--------

Unless you think you are likley to be targeted due to ethnicty or dress, or you are a prominent political activist (in the eyes of authorities, read: troublemaker) what they care about at the borders is that your laptop can be powered on and operate as a laptop, and is not just a hollow shell full of other stuff.

If you have incriminating stuff on your laptop, you should remove it and erase free space, whether you are traveling or not. Laptops are a target of theft, and incriminating stuff on a stolen computer could expose you to blackmail or arrest, whether in the US or abroad.

Taking my MacBook Pro abroad

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.