Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iMovie '11 Unable to prepare project for publishing "export" error -50

Hi There,

I'm running a studio of Mac Pros running Mac OSX 10.7.4 and iMovie '11 (9.0.4).

The students using the macs today were editing a project imported from panasonic HDC-TM900 camcorders (AVCHD).

75% of the student's projects exported fine. But there were three projects which came up with this "Error -50" message after selecting "Share/Export Movie" export movie at HD720p.

User uploaded file

The export window appears but immediately dissappears and the following message appears:

User uploaded file

User uploaded file

We tried the following all to no effect:

• Consolidating media
  • Moving whole project and media to an external drive and trying to export on another machine
  • converting .mp3 audio tracks to .aiff and then .wav
  • Restarting iMovie, logging off and on again, restarting Mac
  • Closing all other programmes
  • Repairing disk permissions
  • Verifying disk for errors
  • Download and installed fresh version of iMovie'11 ( 9.0.4).

In the end we found that on each project the clips below 1.5 seconds were causing the issue. On each project there were lots of clips below 1.5 second i.e. below:

User uploaded file

User uploaded file

By deleting the short clips or increasing their length I was able to export.

But this can't be so! iMovie must be able to handle multiple clips under 1.5 seconds. iMovie '09 did!

I was able to import the i'Movie project to Final Cut Pro X and export from FCPX without any issues so I'm certain it's nothing to do with the footage.

If anyone has had a similar issue please post below, or if anyone has a resolution then please also post.

With thanks in advance.

Lawrence

Mac Pro, Mac OS X (10.7.4), iMovie '11 (9.0.4)

Posted on May 11, 2012 8:46 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 6, 2012 7:24 AM

I brought up the issue with the geniusses at Apple Store, Regent Street, London, UK. They submitted the issue to Apple Engineering who sent me this update:

"Apple Engineering has received reports of this symptom and are investigating. Further updates, if any, may come by way of a software update, knowledge base article or software release."

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 6, 2012 7:24 AM in response to saleemmartin

I brought up the issue with the geniusses at Apple Store, Regent Street, London, UK. They submitted the issue to Apple Engineering who sent me this update:

"Apple Engineering has received reports of this symptom and are investigating. Further updates, if any, may come by way of a software update, knowledge base article or software release."

Nov 23, 2012 9:53 AM in response to saleemmartin

Hello, We are having a similar problem running iMovie '09. We get the exact same error as you reported.

"Unable to prepare project for publishing" The project could not be prepared for publishing because an error occurred (-50)

We have a very similar situation were we have multiple repeated clips. However, our clips are 2.4 's. Like you, we took the finished project and started eliminating edits that we thought might be preventing it from exporting. The following actions still would not allow the project to export:

• removing title pages
  • removing transitions
  • removing imported music from iTunes
  • removed another clip from another event
  • closed all other programs
  • closed iMovie, powered off computer, opened iMovie, tried to export
  • reconfirmed the last project exported would still export - it did without issue

The only difference between the project that will export and the one that does not are these short (2.4's) repeating clips

When we create the new project from the recorded event without making any edits (just as recorded), it exports without issue. We have started the arduous task of adding back in each edit and testing it for export until we determine which edit is causing it to "not export". This is a very inefficient way of troubleshooting.

This is a science project for my son and we need to be able to save it as a QT or mpeg4 movie so that he can submit it to his teacher for viewing and a grade!

Any ideas from any other users would be greatly appreciated.

iMovie '11 Unable to prepare project for publishing "export" error -50

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.