Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

PowerBook G3 Wallstreet does not recognise battery - what could cause this?

I have recently been trying to revive an old PowerBook Wallstreet G3 that has sat in a cupboard for 5 years. Initially, whilst it did boot on AC, it did not see either old battery in either bay and would not keep the date. I replaced the re-chargeable (PRAM) battery and it will now keep the date but still does not see either battery. I ordered a new battery which arrived today. It to is not seen and so cannot charge.

I have re- set the PMU and tried battery re-set 2.0. The computer was having re-charge problems before I put it away. It would see the batteries but would only re-charge when sleeping. I can believe that the old batteries are shot but would have expected the new one to be ok. The RH media bay will take a DVD drive and does see it when installed.

Any ideas as to what is causing the problem? What boards might I replace to try to fix it. Having done the PRAM battery replacement I am happy to take it appart.

Thanks for your suggestions.

Posted on May 11, 2012 2:33 PM

5 replies

May 11, 2012 5:35 PM in response to David White

The PRAM battery is what I was going to suggest before I read your post. I maintain three Wallstreets for a friend and one would not recognize a new main battery until I changed the PRAM battery. But that's obviously not the issue.

Have you tried a reset? Look under the port door in the back for an image showing the key combo for a logic board reset.

From whom did you get the new battery? We ordered a high-capacity one from OWC that was recognized but would not charge in one of the Wallstreets, so returned it and bought one from Global Battery that was standard capacity. That one is still in service, and my friend later bought another GB battery for another WS. Both are excellent. Here's the link:

http://www.global-batteries.com/product_info.php/cPath/1_12/products_id/90

May 12, 2012 12:23 AM in response to Allan Jones

Allan,

Yes, I did the reset. The key combination under the flap is the PMU reset. The PRAM battery was from OWC but does seem to work in that the date is now held. The link you kindly gave to globa batteries does not work from th UK.

I have tried some open firmware re-sets I read about but it still does not work. I am now trying a trick of pulling the battery in and out.

Do you have any idea as to which boards I might try next for replacement that could be at fault?

Thanks

Dave

May 12, 2012 8:56 AM in response to David White

The board that suffers the most from old age is the power board, and it is mechanical damage cause by strain of the power cord on the barrel-shaped jack that creates the problem.

Over time, the jack's legs that are soldered (flowed) to the power board loosen and contact become intermittent. This would prevent charging but would also cause power cutouts while on the mains. With the power plug removed, put a finger on the jack and ever so gently see if it moves up and down.

If loose, the jack can be re-flowed by a skilled hand, but the quick and easy fix is to use thin shavings of plastic to shim up the jack on the board. That takes the play out and leaves the legs in more solid if not perfect contact.

Jun 21, 2012 3:57 PM in response to Allan Jones

As I noted on another thread, I bought a working Wallstreet from Ebay. This machine was able to see and re-charge my batteries. Once resurected, they worked in my original Powerbook and would re-charge when the machine was asleep. I now remember this was a behaviour I had seen before.

I did look at the Power board when I refitted the PRAM battery. It seemed OK and I reflowed the solder where the power socket connected to the board.

Do you think I need to replace this board, or the one that the batteries connect to in the bays?

Thanks.

PowerBook G3 Wallstreet does not recognise battery - what could cause this?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.