Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

What are the latest versions of OS X (and OS X 10.4) that I can install on my iMac Power PC G4 (17-inch Flat Panel)?

Hey guys,

I was just wondering as to what the latest versions of OS X (and OS X 10.4) that I can install on my iMac Power PC G4 (17-inch Flat Panel) are?

Any information would be much-appreciated, as ANYthing that would make this baby run a bit quicker (withOUT burning a massive hole in my pocket) would be a GREAT help!!! (;-D)

iMac, Mac OS X (10.4.11), RSVP ASAP (Thanks)!

Posted on May 11, 2012 4:21 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 11, 2012 5:22 PM

The highest version of the Mac OS that runs on PowerPC Macs is 10.5.8. The last iteration of OS 10.4 was 10.4.11.

As 10.5 has more overhead than 10.5, I doubt it will make any speed differences and may knock speed down a notch or two. It did on a G4 tower I have with specs similar to the last of the G4 iMacs.

Things that help:

1) Max out the RAM. If you post more details about your iMac from Apple menu > About this Mac > More Info... we can see how much more RAM you model can accomodate (different G4 iMacs have different RAM specs; with modern modules, some can double the max amount of RAM the outdated Appel Specs call out).

2) See if the hard drive is getting too full. Although it varies with hard drive sides, for legacy Macs you want no less thant about 15 percent of the hard drive space free.

3) In OS 10.4, run the periodic maintenance scripts manually. Link :Running the Mac OS X maintenance scripts

If it's web video that's slow, you can't fix that. Most web developers use modern video technology that has abandoned any efforts to be optimized for pre-Intel mac processors.

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 11, 2012 5:22 PM in response to P.C.T

The highest version of the Mac OS that runs on PowerPC Macs is 10.5.8. The last iteration of OS 10.4 was 10.4.11.

As 10.5 has more overhead than 10.5, I doubt it will make any speed differences and may knock speed down a notch or two. It did on a G4 tower I have with specs similar to the last of the G4 iMacs.

Things that help:

1) Max out the RAM. If you post more details about your iMac from Apple menu > About this Mac > More Info... we can see how much more RAM you model can accomodate (different G4 iMacs have different RAM specs; with modern modules, some can double the max amount of RAM the outdated Appel Specs call out).

2) See if the hard drive is getting too full. Although it varies with hard drive sides, for legacy Macs you want no less thant about 15 percent of the hard drive space free.

3) In OS 10.4, run the periodic maintenance scripts manually. Link :Running the Mac OS X maintenance scripts

If it's web video that's slow, you can't fix that. Most web developers use modern video technology that has abandoned any efforts to be optimized for pre-Intel mac processors.

What are the latest versions of OS X (and OS X 10.4) that I can install on my iMac Power PC G4 (17-inch Flat Panel)?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.