5 Replies Latest reply: May 12, 2012 9:53 AM by whgan2431
whgan2431 Level 1 Level 1

Just upgraded my macbook pro from Snow leopard 10.6.8 to Lion 10.7.2, after upgrading I instantly installed the software updates and now my version is 10.7.4. However the i noticed the computer was getting hot fast and im sure its not a problem with the indexing and spotlight because that finished hours ago. Please help, do not want to melt my computer down. Before on snow leopard istat detects my temperature as 30 degrees celcius to 40 when im just surfing on firefox, now on lion istat shows 60-70 when only firefox is open and 50+ when nothing is open.

PLEASE HELP ME

Mac OS X (10.7.4)
Reply by softwater on May 12, 2012 2:36 AM Helpful

You have something called 'CasperSuite' in your login items?

If you don't use it, remove it. That should take care of the 'jamf' problem on bootup.

My MBP is currently at 64C, I'm not running much, just mail and safari. I really don't think you've got anything to worry about at 50C. If your temp starts climbing to 70C and the fans are noisy, then you need to start looking at what's going on.

EDIT: This might also settle you mind a bit:

http://gigaom.com/apple/is-your-mac-running-hot-with-lion-heres-why/

All replies

• softwater Level 5 Level 5

Have a look in Activity Monitor to see what processes are running, though 50C doesn't seem excessive to me.

• whgan2431 Level 1 Level 1

I have checked activity monitor and nothing is taking more cpu space than java applet which is at 6%, also 50C when there is no apps open is kind of strange no?

also forgot to add that when the computer first boots up the temperature will start of at around 80C, and when i check the activity monitor, a process called "jamf" will be going all over the place from 4% to 100% or 99%. However once i force quit it the temperature goes down abit to around 60-70

• softwater Level 5 Level 5

You have something called 'CasperSuite' in your login items?

If you don't use it, remove it. That should take care of the 'jamf' problem on bootup.

My MBP is currently at 64C, I'm not running much, just mail and safari. I really don't think you've got anything to worry about at 50C. If your temp starts climbing to 70C and the fans are noisy, then you need to start looking at what's going on.

EDIT: This might also settle you mind a bit:

http://gigaom.com/apple/is-your-mac-running-hot-with-lion-heres-why/

thanks for ur answers, i checked login items but only things tht are checked is cinch and itunes helper nothing else. my mbook just jumps frm 50 to 70 sometimes, doesnt seem lik a big deal so i think itl be fine, and hopefully apple might release an update to fix this.

Thanks again