Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPod Classic (5th Gen) still won't appear in iTunes or desktop. Grr

I've just done steps 1-5 suggested in the Troubleshooting guide

1. If necessary, verify that your iPod has a Click Wheel.
  2. Before placing the iPod into Disk Mode, verify that it is charged.
  3. Toggle the Hold switch on and off (set it to Hold, then turn it off again.)
  4. Press and hold the Menu and Select buttons for at least six seconds, until the Apple logo appears.
  5. When the Apple logo appears, release the Menu and Select buttons and immediately press and hold the Select and the Play/Pause buttons until the Disk Mode screen appears.

- but when it goes to Disk Mode, it already says "OK to disconnect". Any clues as to why it still won't show in iTunes or on the desktop of my Mac?

Mac OS X (10.7.3)

Posted on May 12, 2012 12:29 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 24, 2012 6:47 AM

If you have connected it to a good USB 2.0 port, and not the USB port on the keyboard and dont use any USB Hub., it should say "Do Not Disconnect"

If you are using a Macbook, Note that only one of the USB port is iPod Classic usable, the other is shared with other I/O devices which causes timeout.

Check that the bottom dock connector is not plug with lint or damaged.

You should also try using another USB cable or a friend PC.

Have a nice day!

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 24, 2012 6:47 AM in response to zulugroove

If you have connected it to a good USB 2.0 port, and not the USB port on the keyboard and dont use any USB Hub., it should say "Do Not Disconnect"

If you are using a Macbook, Note that only one of the USB port is iPod Classic usable, the other is shared with other I/O devices which causes timeout.

Check that the bottom dock connector is not plug with lint or damaged.

You should also try using another USB cable or a friend PC.

Have a nice day!

iPod Classic (5th Gen) still won't appear in iTunes or desktop. Grr

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.