Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Back Up Library on NAS Drive - Error 36

Hi,

I am trying to copy the iPhoto library to my newly installed NAS drive. I have 2 libraries (3.6gb and 16.8gb). The smallerone copied across no problem but when copying the second I get an error 36 after it has copied 30mb of data.

I have tried all avenues:

- Restarted iPhoto holding down alt and opt and repairing permissions.

- Rebuilt library using iPhoto Library Manager

But I still get the same message. I have backed up the whole Mac using Superduper to a small external drive and that works fine.

Any ideas please, part of the reason I bought the NAS drive was to back up photos, and now it doesn't work!!!

I will post this in the Lion O/S System forum in case it is more of a system problem than iPhoto.

Thanks

iMac, Mac OS X (10.7.3)

Posted on May 12, 2012 2:55 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 12, 2012 3:32 AM

That 36 error is a Read/Write error - there's some file in there that the Finder can't copy.

When you rebuilt with Library Manager, where did you rebuild to?

BTW:

You know that running a Library from a NAS will cause damage to the Library, right?

iPhoto needs to have the Library sitting on disk formatted Mac OS Extended (Journaled). Users with the Library sitting on disks otherwise formatted regularly report issues including, but not limited to, importing, saving edits and sharing the photos.

10 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 12, 2012 3:32 AM in response to Russ New Boy

That 36 error is a Read/Write error - there's some file in there that the Finder can't copy.

When you rebuilt with Library Manager, where did you rebuild to?

BTW:

You know that running a Library from a NAS will cause damage to the Library, right?

iPhoto needs to have the Library sitting on disk formatted Mac OS Extended (Journaled). Users with the Library sitting on disks otherwise formatted regularly report issues including, but not limited to, importing, saving edits and sharing the photos.

May 12, 2012 3:45 AM in response to Yer_Man

Thanks.

I should have clarified - I rebuilt the library using Library Manager onto the Mac (which worked fine, actually reduced the library size by 4gb)and then duplicated the library (using Manager again) onto NAS drive - but it failed.

I didn't realise that running from NAS would cause damage HOWEVER, I only intend to use the NAS as a back up and will continue to run iPhoto directly on Mac.

I have not deleted permissions in my user library - would that make any difference? Are there any plist files or caches, etc in the iPhoto library that I could / should delete?

Russ

May 12, 2012 3:54 AM in response to Russ New Boy

Try rebuild to the NAS.

Or Use an app that will do incremental back ups. This is a very good way to work. The first time you run the back up the app will make a complete copy of the Library. Thereafter it will update the back up with the changes you have made. That makes subsequent back ups much faster. Many of these apps also have scheduling capabilities: So set it up and it will do the back up automatically. Examples of such apps: Chronosync or DejaVu . But are many others. Search on MacUpdate

May 12, 2012 4:09 AM in response to Yer_Man

I tried rebuilding to the NAS - but I got an error message straight away saying the library could not be created as I do not have sufficient permission to write in enclosing folder even though I have transferred music/photo and other data to the NAS with no trouble. I do get the following message quite often in console though I notice:

12/05/2012 09:16:22.050 fseventsd: scan_old: bailing out because device mounted @ /Volumes/Buffalo_Cloud has dls 0x0 and dls->fci 0x0

Thks for suggestion on back-up software - my intention for using the NAS was for it to consolidate key data (music, photos, docs) from 2 Macs and one PC so was not intending as using it as a Time Machine for one Mac.

Russ

May 12, 2012 4:50 AM in response to Yer_Man

Ahhh, I thought the backup apps worked like Superduper and created bootable backups of the whole drive, I will have a look at them.

BTW the way I am managing my backups is to use small portable drives as individual 'whole disk' backups using Superduper. I then have an offsite NAS that contains iPhoto libraries, Lightroom catalogs, iTunes folders, iMovie Projects/Events etc but doesn't contain copies my apps, prefs or anything like that.

Thks

May 12, 2012 6:24 AM in response to Russ New Boy

I have downloaded the demo version of Chronosync. I tried to sync the iPhoto library, but got the following message shortly after starting the first sync:

Error, Function not implemented Occurred while creating symbolic link:

/Volumes/Buffalo_Cloud/Chrono2/Database/BigBlobs.apdb

I skipped the error, but it came up another 10 times before I reached my demo limit of copying 500 files.........

Any further suggestiions please? This is very frustrating!

Thks

May 14, 2012 2:20 PM in response to Yer_Man

I think I may have solved the problem.

I was mounting the NAS using the Pogoplug software which was mounting it as PPFS. By accident I remounted it using SMB and was then able to successfully copy the iPhoto library.

It took nearly 3 hours using Chronosync to copy the 16gb library but I will take your advice TD and use Chronosync going forward so I only have to make incremental backups.

As you recommend TD I won't run iPhoto library from the NAS, but just use it as a back-up.

Thanks for all your help.

Russ

Back Up Library on NAS Drive - Error 36

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.