Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

quicktime error -50

My Compressor 4.0.3 jobs (from Final Cut Pro 10.0.4 using 'HD 1080p Video Sharing' setting) jobs keep failing (QuickTime Error: -50). Any thoughts?

Mac Pro, Mac OS X (10.7.4)

Posted on May 12, 2012 3:29 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 12, 2012 5:48 AM

A little more info will help. Is this new behavior…have you previously been able to use this share option? If you open other projects, do they have the same issue?

Can you export as a QT movie and bring that into Compressor and complete the encode with that video sharing preset?

Russ

17 replies

May 12, 2012 10:09 PM in response to Russ H

Thanks for your reply Russ,

Is this new behavior…have you previously been able to use this share option? If you open other projects, do they have the same issue?

The problem began when I switched to Final Cut Pro X and Compressor 4 - it never occurred using the old versions of these programs and it has been a consistent problem for me ever since. As you can see from yesterday's history window:

http://humph.org/Using_Send_to_compressor.jpg

only one of the eight jobs was successful. This is what always happens. The other week I had to keep submitting the jobs over and over again until eventually they all worked.

Can you export as a QT movie and bring that into Compressor and complete the encode with that video sharing preset?

I tried this Russ and it worked perfectly as you can see from today's history window:

http://humph.org/Using_Export_Media.jpg

Thank you SO much!! 🙂

Mind you, I have to wait 5-6 minutes while each file exports from Final Cut Pro X but at least it worked!

I would still like to know why Compressor fails most of the time when working with files sent directly to it from Final Cut Pro X. AND I would love to be able to export a batch of clips the way I used to be able to do with Final Cut Pro 7 - why did they remove that feature?

Thanks again for your help Russ!

Wayne

May 15, 2012 12:50 PM in response to Wayne Richmond

Hello everyone,

I encountered the same issue on an edit that I had exported many times (working with FCPX 10.0.4)

The only edit change between the last export to compressor that worked and the failing one was some changes of keyframes on the size of a still.

I had no time to redo the edit, so I exported to the same codec as the timeline (prores HQ 422). That worked. Then I did the encoding through Compressor with my usual settings.

That also worked.

Conclusion: something linked to keyframes bugged the Compressor job.

I am interested in hearing about more rational explanation and solution.

May 16, 2012 9:10 AM in response to svanteh

@Swanteh,

I would not look in problems with keyframes alone. When the edit is fresh, after setting the keyframes properly, the encoding went well.

The problem came after I deleted some keyframes and placed new ones.

My guess is that you should delete the clip, place the still again and do the keyframing from zero.

I think the code that FCPX creates when editing keyframes is not clean when you delete keyframes.

Just my guess...

May 17, 2012 6:05 AM in response to jeremyh

Tried it without luck. 😟 Still error -50.

I tested with two old FCP X projects, that worked before with FCP 10.0.3 and Compressor 4.0.2. They also stopped with a - 50.

With 10.0.4 and 4.0.3 I also have problems with HTTP Streaming.

S, I must have installed a new or updated application interfering in some way.

The only new hardware is an Apple Display.

There is the workaround with exporting first to an QT movie. I have to use this approach for the moment.

quicktime error -50

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.