Skip navigation

quicktime error -50

5233 Views 17 Replies Latest reply: Aug 1, 2013 5:44 AM by Russ H RSS
1 2 Previous Next
Wayne Richmond Calculating status...
Currently Being Moderated
May 12, 2012 3:30 AM

My Compressor 4.0.3 jobs (from Final Cut Pro 10.0.4 using 'HD 1080p Video Sharing' setting) jobs keep failing (QuickTime Error: -50).  Any thoughts?

Mac Pro, Mac OS X (10.7.4)
  • Russ H Level 6 Level 6 (12,945 points)
    May 12, 2012 5:48 AM (in response to Wayne Richmond)

A little more info will help. Is this new behavior…have you previously been able to use this share option? If you open other projects, do they have the same issue?

Can you export as a QT movie and bring that into Compressor and complete the encode with that video sharing preset?

Russ

• svanteh Level 1 Level 1 (10 points)
    May 13, 2012 7:10 AM (in response to Wayne Richmond)

I have excactly the same problem. It has woorked before. But now - 4 out of 5 does stop with error code -50. Will try Russ's tip.

May 13, 2012 12:07 PM (in response to svanteh)

Yes, it worked out. BUT I have to wait 10 minutes while each file exports from Final Cut Pro X but at least it worked!

I'm not too happy about Compressor 4 and FCP X. FCP 7 and Compressor 3 worked much better.

• jeremyh Calculating status...
    May 15, 2012 12:50 PM (in response to Wayne Richmond)

Hello everyone,

I encountered the same issue on an edit that I had exported many times (working with FCPX 10.0.4)

The only edit change between the last export to compressor that worked and the failing one was some changes of keyframes on the size of a still.

I had no time to redo the edit, so I exported to the same codec as the timeline (prores HQ 422). That worked. Then I did the encoding through Compressor with my usual settings.

That also worked.

Conclusion: something linked to keyframes bugged the Compressor job.

I am interested in hearing about more rational explanation and solution.

May 16, 2012 9:03 AM (in response to jeremyh)

Truly interesting. I also uses stills with keyframes. Could that be the problem?

• jeremyh Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)
    May 16, 2012 9:10 AM (in response to svanteh)

@Swanteh,

I would not look in problems with keyframes alone. When the edit is fresh, after setting the keyframes properly, the encoding went well.

The problem came after I deleted some keyframes and placed new ones.

My guess is that you should delete the clip, place the still again and do the keyframing from zero.

I think the code that FCPX creates when editing keyframes is not clean when you delete keyframes.

Just my guess...

May 16, 2012 9:13 AM (in response to jeremyh)

Thanks for your input. I muist try again. Will take some time though. Have nearly 40 stills moving around .

• jeremyh Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)
    May 16, 2012 9:17 AM (in response to svanteh)

# Svanteh,

Duplicate your project and name it _test. Delete all clip with keyframing and try an export to compressor. Keep us informed.

May 17, 2012 6:05 AM (in response to jeremyh)

Tried it without luck. Still error -50.

I tested with two old FCP X projects, that worked before with FCP 10.0.3 and Compressor 4.0.2. They also stopped with a - 50.

With 10.0.4 and 4.0.3 I also have problems with HTTP Streaming.

S, I must have installed a new or updated application interfering in some way.

The only new hardware is an Apple Display.

There is the workaround with exporting first to an QT movie. I have to use this approach for the moment.

• itwashobbes Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)
    Oct 18, 2012 12:22 AM (in response to Wayne Richmond)

I just got the Quicktime Error -50 four times in a row. The fifth time I got it to export successfully by choosing "background rendering: none" under the advanced tab of the sharing panel in FCPX.

I've also had TONS of this issue exporting from Motion 5.

• Kåre Olav Norheim Calculating status...
    May 4, 2013 6:30 AM (in response to Russ H)

Do you mean in FCPX :file - share - master file?

• Russ H Level 6 Level 6 (12,945 points)
    May 4, 2013 6:39 AM (in response to Kåre Olav Norheim)

Yes. I beleive I did. (It's a year-old thread. )

Russ

• PavanSingh Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)
    Jul 30, 2013 9:43 AM (in response to Wayne Richmond)

I got this same error code. I found that it was becuase I put an image in my movie, the moment i removed that image it exported perfectly. It was not because i had an image because it was only 1 of the 2 images that caused the issue.

1 2 Previous Next

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Legend

• This solved my question - 10 points
  • This helped me - 5 points
This site contains user submitted content, comments and opinions and is for informational purposes only. Apple disclaims any and all liability for the acts, omissions and conduct of any third parties in connection with or related to your use of the site. All postings and use of the content on this site are subject to the Apple Support Communities Terms of Use.