Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

macbook RAM question

i have a macbook (late, 2009) the article i read says i can put up to 4gb of RAM in my macbook.... can i use a single 4gb stick of RAM (which is way cheaper for me) or do i have to use two 2gb sticks of RAM

Posted on May 12, 2012 5:40 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 8, 2017 3:20 PM

Hey conorfromva,

When it comes to RAM and Apple recommendations, they are usually on the conservative side of how much RAM you can install. Usually, you can find other sources that have used more RAM than Apple claims to be compatible. To clarify, is your model identifier 6,1? You can find this by going to About this Mac -> More Info -> System Report if you're on Lion, and skip the last step if you're on a previous OS. It should appear in your system profilier.

According to a source I have found reliable, Other World Computing (macsales.com), your computer can use up to 8 GB! Although matching RAM is usually a good idea, it's not necessary. It's also a good idea to make sure both of your RAM banks are being used (You have them, why not use them). Make sure you use the correct speed of RAM (1067 MHz, not 1333 MHz). I have sucessfully used two separate speeds as long as one of the sticks is at 1067 MHz.

I would go ahead and install any 1067 DDR3 PC8500 (As long as it's not bigger than 4 GB) in your RAM banks. Mixing and matching different sizes won't end your computer's life.

I hope this answers your question, let me know if you have further questions!

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 8, 2017 3:20 PM in response to conorfromva

Hey conorfromva,

When it comes to RAM and Apple recommendations, they are usually on the conservative side of how much RAM you can install. Usually, you can find other sources that have used more RAM than Apple claims to be compatible. To clarify, is your model identifier 6,1? You can find this by going to About this Mac -> More Info -> System Report if you're on Lion, and skip the last step if you're on a previous OS. It should appear in your system profilier.

According to a source I have found reliable, Other World Computing (macsales.com), your computer can use up to 8 GB! Although matching RAM is usually a good idea, it's not necessary. It's also a good idea to make sure both of your RAM banks are being used (You have them, why not use them). Make sure you use the correct speed of RAM (1067 MHz, not 1333 MHz). I have sucessfully used two separate speeds as long as one of the sticks is at 1067 MHz.

I would go ahead and install any 1067 DDR3 PC8500 (As long as it's not bigger than 4 GB) in your RAM banks. Mixing and matching different sizes won't end your computer's life.

I hope this answers your question, let me know if you have further questions!

macbook RAM question

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.