Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Restore Bootcamp Problem

Just had Apple replace my MacBook Pro with a new model. Perhaps I shouldn't have let them do this, but they copied my old disk to the new laptop. Now I cannot restore my bootcamp partition from the Winclone backup (I did 3 of them) that I had done before changning the computer. I cannot even get the Bootcamp partition to boot up on its own. It seems that I should probably use the bootcamp setup assistant on the partition I created before trying another restore from Winclone, but the version I have on my computer is something like 1.1. I'm sure there is a newer version but I can't seem to locate it on the Apple support site. Does this seem like the correct process to take?

Old computer:: MacBook Pro early 2008; 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo

New computer:: MacBook Pro late 2011; 2.2 GHz Intel Core i7

Posted on May 12, 2012 11:20 AM

1 reply

May 12, 2012 11:32 AM in response to Allan Jensen

Wtih all the changes under the hood from 2008 hardware to 2001 SATA3, Tb, Sandy Bridge, just do a clean install.

Windows does not like being moved to a new highly different motherboard.

WinClone has been updated to deal with Lion. Why not just Google.

Why would you think you'd find Winclone on Apple? maybe I don't understand that part. they may try and want to put a lock and sandbox any utility to the AppStore like WinClone and 1000s of other desktop programs?

Windows has its own built in system restore image.

There was one person who said theirs was fine (moving to dissimilar hardware, but that is the exception and not the rule. OS X is tied to a limited hardware base and contains support for any, Windows you have other hardware and drivers.

I have no idea how or what Apple would use to copy - sector?

Or if you just needed to boot Windows 7 DVD to fix it (and reinstall the latest BC 4.0.1+ drivers)

Restore Bootcamp Problem

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.