Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Slow eMac keeps getting slower

I have an eMac from 2003 (specs below) that we're still using for basic web-surfing, email and simple Word documents. But it seems that over the years its getting slower and slower. This is the case on any browser (Safari, Firefox, IE) and even for Word, Finder actions, etc. I have tried cleaning up by deleting unused aps, running Disk Utility (to repair permissions), Onyx, and ClamXav. The HD has 20Gb free.

Any recommendations for other clean-up actions that might help to get the cobwebs out. Thanks!

Specs: eMac G4, 800, PPC. Super Drive, 1G SDRAM, OSX 10.4.11. 60Gb drive (20Gb free). L2 Cache 256kb, Bus Speed 100 MHz.

- marc

eMac, Mac OS X (10.4.11), Escaped Windows in 2003!

Posted on May 12, 2012 1:11 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 12, 2012 1:58 PM

I think you should get Applejack...

http://www.macupdate.com/info.php/id/15667/applejack

After installing, reboot holding down CMD+s, (+s), then when the DOS like prompt shows, type in...

applejack AUTO

Then let it do all 6 of it's things.

At least it'll eliminate some questions if it doesn't fix it.

The 6 things it does are...

Correct any Disk problems.

Repair Permissions.

Clear out Cache Files.

Repair/check several plist files.

Dump the VM files for a fresh start.

Trash old Log files.

First reboot will be slower, sometimes 2 or 3 restarts will be required for full benefit... my guess is files relying upon other files relying upon other files! :-)

Disconnect the USB cable from any Uninterruptible Power Supply so the system doesn't shut down in the middle of the process.

Just sits there occupying very little space & never interfering, unless you need to invoke it in Single User Mode.

8 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 12, 2012 1:58 PM in response to Marc D

I think you should get Applejack...

http://www.macupdate.com/info.php/id/15667/applejack

After installing, reboot holding down CMD+s, (+s), then when the DOS like prompt shows, type in...

applejack AUTO

Then let it do all 6 of it's things.

At least it'll eliminate some questions if it doesn't fix it.

The 6 things it does are...

Correct any Disk problems.

Repair Permissions.

Clear out Cache Files.

Repair/check several plist files.

Dump the VM files for a fresh start.

Trash old Log files.

First reboot will be slower, sometimes 2 or 3 restarts will be required for full benefit... my guess is files relying upon other files relying upon other files! :-)

Disconnect the USB cable from any Uninterruptible Power Supply so the system doesn't shut down in the middle of the process.

Just sits there occupying very little space & never interfering, unless you need to invoke it in Single User Mode.

May 13, 2012 5:09 AM in response to BDAqua

Thanks BDAqua,

I ran it and will give it a few days and a few restarts to see the difference. How is it different from Onyx? It seems to do the same things.

I've had multiple users on this machine (multiple logins). Could that make a difference where the machine may be trying to figure out what files belong with what user? If so, is there a way to safely eliminate old users? I'm happy to only have 1 user account on it. I would even start from scratch since the worthwhile data is on Dropbox.

- marc

May 14, 2012 6:32 AM in response to BDAqua

Actually, I must have deleted those other accounts at some point, because I just checked and there are no other user accounts (any more).

There are two symptoms that I had hoped would go away after using Onyx and AppleJack that are still there.

1) The machine will not go to sleep by itself, even though I have it set to do so after 15 mins.

2) It only has 1 user account, which has no password and I have it set to automatically login as that user. Still, it always asks for a password, even though there is none.

These are not major problems, but it suggests that something is messed up. Along with the general slow response. I might run AppleJack again to see if it cleans up anthing.

- marc

May 14, 2012 12:09 PM in response to BDAqua

1) Just the keyboard (Apple) and mouse (Logitech). Mouse is plugged directly into the eMac, not into the keyboard. Never changed the PRAM battery. How do I do that?

2) Correct. But I believe that with a blank password and only 1 user, it should skip the password entry window and log in directly.

- marc

Slow eMac keeps getting slower

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.