Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Upgrade to Lion 10.7.4: Strange Behavior

I just upgraded to Lion 10.7.4. After upgrading, I have found that literally hundereds of files have been move to Trash. Does anyone have any idea why this has happened? The majority of the files are DOC and XLS documents no longer supported by the latest version of MS Office, as well as Mail documents that I had saved. Is there any way I can move the files back into the Document Files they came from without having to examine each individual file now in Trash and then move it back into the Folder it came from? The "enhancemenets" or "performance improvements" Apple offered as a benefit of this OS upgrade made no mention of th wholesale deletion of files.

I would appreciate any help or any light on this subject that someone could offer.

Frank Bendrick

iMac (27-inch Mid 2011), Mac OS X (10.7.4), iPod4G, iPad2, MacPro,MacBookPro

Posted on May 12, 2012 2:11 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 12, 2012 2:13 PM

Open Trash and select all the files then right click and choose Put Back.

14 replies

May 12, 2012 3:39 PM in response to Frank Bendrick

Simple fact is the update somehow hosed your system and or your system was hosed before the update and that is why those files got moved to the trash. I updated the day it came out an nothing got moved to the trash. All my files are still exactly where they were before the update. All my programs still function as they did before the update.

There is something else wrong with your system.

So it seems you are going to have to MOVE those files back into whatever folders they came from. But first I would just create a New Folder and copy/move them into that for the time being. Then you can go about sorting them out.

May 12, 2012 4:16 PM in response to Frank Bendrick

If you have 10.7.4 installed already when you create the new user it will be on a 10.7.4 OS. that doesn't change just because you created a new user.

If for some reason the update didn't install and you are still on 10.7.3 then yes download the Combo Updater and then apply it once you have created the new user and moved your files over.

I would not delete those files that got put in the trash and you moved to another folder. I'd leave both copies of those files just in case this happens again.

May 12, 2012 5:27 PM in response to Shootist007

By clicking and holding Command-R during a restart, a Recovery Disk appears. This disk, I believe, is put on the hard drive by the Apple Installer. When selecting the Recovery Disk to repair the system, first a check is made to Apple to verify authority to use the recovery disk, as I understand it. In my case, the request came back from Apple saying that the verification could not be made, and, as a result, I could not use the Recovery Disk.

FAB

May 12, 2012 5:40 PM in response to Frank Bendrick

Refer to it as the Recovery HD. When saying Disk I'm not sure you are refering to a CD/DVD Disc or a hard drive Disk.

Then my question is why are you booting into the Recovery HD? To do a Verify Disk and Disk Repair?

Never heard of the Recovery HD verifying anything with Apple to use it. In theory you could boot the system from the Recovery HD without having any internet connection to use disk utility or the command prompt.

If you are talking about Verifying the Macintosh HD partition, Verify Disk, and it comes back with Verify can't be made then the operating system on hard drive is HOSED, even though you can still use the computer. And that is why those files got placed in the trash to begin with. Something is NOT right. How do you fix it, I'm not sure how or if it can.

What I would do is Erase everything from the drive, that is AFTER I backed up my personal files and my downlaoded programs and licenses for those programs, and do a Clean re-install. But that is me.

Upgrade to Lion 10.7.4: Strange Behavior

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.