Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I cannot remove entries from Previous Recipients in Mail

Previously, I have had no troble removing obsolete enteries from Previous Recipients in Mail. Of, course I also remove these enteries from my Address Book.

Now, when I hit the "Remove From List" button, the entry disappears, but it reappears the next time I check the Previous Recipients List. I simply cannot get rid of obosete entries.

Thanks for your help !

MacBook Pro

Posted on May 12, 2012 6:27 PM

7 replies

May 31, 2012 12:32 PM in response to Peter vR

Are you in iOS or OSX both handle Mail differntly. In OSX Mail you can Window>Previous Recipients & delete them there. No such option is in iOS. As far as I know you have to live with Previous Recipients, unless someone can tell me how its done on the iPad/iPhone iOS keeps them because it does not look in Address Book or Contacts fro Prev Recips.

May 31, 2012 12:45 PM in response to Howker

I am using a MacBook Pro, therefore we are talking about Snow Leopard.

I am aware of the way to remove address from the Previous Recipeints List, but this does not work.

As I said:

Now, when I hit the "Remove From List" button, the entry disappears, but it reappears the next time I check the Previous Recipients List. I simply cannot get rid of obosete entries.

I suspect my Mail application is corrupted, but all other aspects of the program work properly.

Also, the obsolete enteries have previously been removed from the Address Book.

May 4, 2013 7:33 AM in response to Austin Kinsella1

I had the same issue. I tried your suggestion Austin, and deleted that file. However, the old email address still populates the address window as I type it. Both show up, but if I'm not careful it will go to the old address and not the new.

I finally solved this by going to my Address Book and looking at all contacts. I had the old address on my mac, and the new one in iCloud. Once I deleted the old one from my mac addresses, and updated to show the new email address, everything worked as it should.

I cannot remove entries from Previous Recipients in Mail

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.