Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iDVD will not start

I've been using iDVD for quite a while, and used it as recently as last week. However, when I tried to start it, only the tool bar indicating that the application is running appears. If I try to access any of the pull-down menus, like "File" or "Edit" or "Project," nothing will appear.

I can hear the little clicks and hums that I usually hear when it starts, but it ceases after the little spinning beach ball shows, then disappears. I cannot start it if I double click on the application and I cannot start it by double clicking on a previously-created iDVD project.

Is there a remedy that involves trashing the caches and/or preferences? I follow this kind of procedure periodically with the FCE program. Or should I use the AppDelete program provided by Apple, then purchase iLife '11?

Thanks for any help you can provide.

Posted on May 12, 2012 6:09 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 13, 2012 12:19 AM

Hi

Yes You can

• trash iDVD pref file - and Repair Permissions

BUT first I would try - Just to find out if trashing the pref file will help

- Start a new User Account

- now test if iDVD runns OK

IF it does then 99% it's the pref file that got corrupted.

• Delete iDVD pref. file - or rather start a new user/account - log into this and re-try

iDVD pref. file resides.

Mac Hard Disk (start-up HD)/Users/"Your account"/Library/Preferences

and is named.

com.apple.iDVD.plist

While iDVD is NOT RUNNING - move this file out to desk-top.

Now restart iDVD.

If You run Mac OS X.7 or more - then the Library in the User-account folder is invisibly and need to be set to be viewable. IT IS NOT in the Library on Root level (when opening MacintoshHD - first window = root level)

( It can be done like this: Open Terminal, then enter: chflags nohidden ~/Library

Press return, then restart, and it will always be visible until the next major update, when you do the same thing again. )

• Free space on internal (start-up) hard disk if it is less than 10Gb should rather have 25Gb

• Disconnect all external hard disks and try - FireWire, USB/2, AirPort or Net-work connected.

To work OK I prefer FireWire AND it must be Mac OS Extended formatted - UNIX/DOS/FAT32/Mac OS Exchange - WILL NOT DO for video - neither for iMovie or FinalCut or iDVD any version ! This also includes any USB-memory sticks.

• Hard disk is untidy.

- Repair Permissions,

- Repair Hard disk (Apple’s Disk Utilities application)

(this last one and You must first start Mac from DVD or external hard disk)

Yours Bengt W

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 13, 2012 12:19 AM in response to Gary Markovich

Hi

Yes You can

• trash iDVD pref file - and Repair Permissions

BUT first I would try - Just to find out if trashing the pref file will help

- Start a new User Account

- now test if iDVD runns OK

IF it does then 99% it's the pref file that got corrupted.

• Delete iDVD pref. file - or rather start a new user/account - log into this and re-try

iDVD pref. file resides.

Mac Hard Disk (start-up HD)/Users/"Your account"/Library/Preferences

and is named.

com.apple.iDVD.plist

While iDVD is NOT RUNNING - move this file out to desk-top.

Now restart iDVD.

If You run Mac OS X.7 or more - then the Library in the User-account folder is invisibly and need to be set to be viewable. IT IS NOT in the Library on Root level (when opening MacintoshHD - first window = root level)

( It can be done like this: Open Terminal, then enter: chflags nohidden ~/Library

Press return, then restart, and it will always be visible until the next major update, when you do the same thing again. )

• Free space on internal (start-up) hard disk if it is less than 10Gb should rather have 25Gb

• Disconnect all external hard disks and try - FireWire, USB/2, AirPort or Net-work connected.

To work OK I prefer FireWire AND it must be Mac OS Extended formatted - UNIX/DOS/FAT32/Mac OS Exchange - WILL NOT DO for video - neither for iMovie or FinalCut or iDVD any version ! This also includes any USB-memory sticks.

• Hard disk is untidy.

- Repair Permissions,

- Repair Hard disk (Apple’s Disk Utilities application)

(this last one and You must first start Mac from DVD or external hard disk)

Yours Bengt W

iDVD will not start

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.