Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Safari 5.1.7 not compatible with flash player plug-in

Hello I just got the 5.1.7 version of safari and also updated the flash player to the latest version, and all the time I get the safari freezing randomly in the web pages, I solved the issue by trashing the plug-in from the library, but of course I can't open the web pages that require it... What should I do, please help!!

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.7.4)

Posted on May 12, 2012 7:45 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 12, 2012 8:07 PM

HI..

I solved the issue by trashing the plug-in from the library, but of course I can't open the web pages that require it.

Not sure how that solved the problem...

Sounds like there may still be an old Flash version installed.

Follow the instructions for uninstaling the current copy of Flash then reinstalling here > Troubleshoot Flash Player | Mac OS

Then restart Safari.

From the Safari menu bar click Safari > Empty Cache

Try a video.

BTW... if you have the ClickToFlash extension installed, that can prevent Flash based video from streaming. It can also be installed as a plugin in /Library/Internet-Plug-Ins.

And check to see if Safari is running in 32 bit mode. Right or control click the Safari icon in your Applications folder then click Get Info. If the box next to: Open in 32 bit mode is selected, deselect, quit then relaunch Safari.

If you still have problems with sites that stream Flash content, from your Safari menu bar click Safari > Preferences > Extensions. If you have any installed, turn that OFF, quit then relaunch Safari to test.

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 12, 2012 8:07 PM in response to ltatanpr

HI..

I solved the issue by trashing the plug-in from the library, but of course I can't open the web pages that require it.

Not sure how that solved the problem...

Sounds like there may still be an old Flash version installed.

Follow the instructions for uninstaling the current copy of Flash then reinstalling here > Troubleshoot Flash Player | Mac OS

Then restart Safari.

From the Safari menu bar click Safari > Empty Cache

Try a video.

BTW... if you have the ClickToFlash extension installed, that can prevent Flash based video from streaming. It can also be installed as a plugin in /Library/Internet-Plug-Ins.

And check to see if Safari is running in 32 bit mode. Right or control click the Safari icon in your Applications folder then click Get Info. If the box next to: Open in 32 bit mode is selected, deselect, quit then relaunch Safari.

If you still have problems with sites that stream Flash content, from your Safari menu bar click Safari > Preferences > Extensions. If you have any installed, turn that OFF, quit then relaunch Safari to test.

Safari 5.1.7 not compatible with flash player plug-in

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.