Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

how to import movies from iMovies to memory card

How to import movies from imovies to a memory card.

MacBook Pro (13-inch Late 2011), Mac OS X (10.7.3)

Posted on May 12, 2012 8:26 PM

5 replies

May 4, 2016 2:03 PM in response to hughmass

I am trying to copy the movies that I purchased from the "My Movies" folder onto a SD card. They seem to copy but when I try to play them (fm sd card), the frames just freeze, this is on my computer. I also try to play them on my t.v. Using a digital media player, all I get is a error that it can't be played. I have copied the file by Right clicking and selecting "Show in Windows Explorer" and by dragging it from the iTunes folder and dropping it into my drive with the sd card. Do you know what I'm doing wrong or what the issue is?

May 4, 2016 3:49 PM in response to carmey

It sounds like a file format incompatibility issue.

1. What format is your SD card formatted for?

2. What file format is the movie you have in this 'My Movie" folder? I"m not familiar with making My Movie purchases. Totally could exist, just not familiar with it.

If you have a project in iMovie you have worked on, then want that on the SD card. Here's what I'd do (basically what Hughmass was eluding to.)

1. in iMovie, click the File option in your Menu Bar at the top of your screen. In that drop down menu is "Share>File." Click on that to "export" the iMovie project. Save it to your Desktop. I believe by default it renders the saved file as an .mp4 file (someone correct my if I'm wrong).

Once on your desktop, you can then save a copy to your SD card. Start here first, because you may be contacting back about:

1. What format your SD card is and how it plays a role with the data you put on it.

2. What you're putting your SD card into that playing your iMovie project ("I have copied the file by Right clicking and selecting "Show in Windows Explorer"") which says you're now using a Windows PC and it's challenges of playing something created by a Mac.

how to import movies from iMovies to memory card

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.