Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I reinstall Aperture 3 after replacing my MBP HD? .

I have just replaced my HDD on my Macbook Pro and upgraded to Snow Leopard. After dragging over Aperture from a back up drive it would not start up, so I deleted the app, opened Terminal and performed sudo pkgutil --forget com.apple.pkg.Aperture. Now it seems the App store wants my credit card to buy a new version? Do I have to do this? I have the serial number from the orginal purchase (started with the Trial App) to install when I get a working copy of Aperture.

MacBook Pro

Posted on May 13, 2012 12:58 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 13, 2012 1:25 AM

Do still have the Trial App installer disk image? Then just run the installer again and enter your serial number to unlock the application.

Also have a look, if you have an "Accept Purchases" tab in your App Store Window, and if you see Aperture there. Then click the "Accept" button and download it.

But if neither of these works, contact Apple Support (with proof of purchase) and ask for help - maybe they will provide a new installer. Aperture cannot be just copied - it needs additional files installed in the System Library, and only the installer will do that properly.

For me it worked to restore Aperture from a Time Machine backup using Migration Assitant and including the System Library and the Applications Folder into the migration settings. Then enter again the serial number. But that should only be the last ressort, for this way you will not have a clean install of your system.

Regards

Léonie

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 13, 2012 1:25 AM in response to Scott Hicken1

Do still have the Trial App installer disk image? Then just run the installer again and enter your serial number to unlock the application.

Also have a look, if you have an "Accept Purchases" tab in your App Store Window, and if you see Aperture there. Then click the "Accept" button and download it.

But if neither of these works, contact Apple Support (with proof of purchase) and ask for help - maybe they will provide a new installer. Aperture cannot be just copied - it needs additional files installed in the System Library, and only the installer will do that properly.

For me it worked to restore Aperture from a Time Machine backup using Migration Assitant and including the System Library and the Applications Folder into the migration settings. Then enter again the serial number. But that should only be the last ressort, for this way you will not have a clean install of your system.

Regards

Léonie

May 13, 2012 5:50 PM in response to léonie

LeonieDF,

I was able to find the Aperture Trial in Time Machine backup dated February 2010. After downloading to the new hard drive, Snow Leopard read "Cannot support this type of installation". So, its on the Apple Support to see if they can provide a new installer pkg of Aperture. By the way I have not been able to see any options in App Store to do any updates.

Thanks.

May 14, 2012 5:00 AM in response to Scott Hicken1

That must be a very old Trial installer if it is incompatible with snow leopard. Does the installer give a crash report or just quit? If there is a crash report you may want to post it here - the first 50 lines.

By the way I have not been able to see any options in App Store to do any updates.

Have you signed into the App Store with the Apple ID you used to buy the Apps?

How do I reinstall Aperture 3 after replacing my MBP HD? .

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.