Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I keep getting the error message 'STARTUP DISK IS FULL' my comp is only 5 months old. what do I do?

Can anyone help, I keep getting the startupdisk is full message. My comp is only 5 months old, I dont know why it has happened, nor do I know what to do with it? I have tried following some of the threads, but I dont understand the solutions, could somebody help me using basic idiot language please? I am so frustrated, as I am new to Mac. Thanks

MacBook Pro

Posted on May 13, 2012 2:31 AM

5 replies

May 13, 2012 2:54 AM in response to pippafrompembrokeshire

Hello:

That message appears when the hard drive is nearing capacity. That sometimes happens if someone has downloaded large amounts of information. If you have been downloading information, go to the area it is stored and start to delete things you no longer need. DO NOT delete any system files.

As a rough rule of thumb, your internal HD should have 10-15% free space at all times.

If you are near an Apple store, make an appointment at the genius bar (take your computer with you). They can walk you through the process.

Barry

May 13, 2012 3:22 AM in response to pippafrompembrokeshire

pippafrompembrokeshire wrote:

Can anyone help, I keep getting the startupdisk is full message. My comp is only 5 months old, I dont know why it has happened, nor do I know what to do with it? I have tried following some of the threads, but I dont understand the solutions, could somebody help me using basic idiot language please? I am so frustrated, as I am new to Mac. Thanks

Download OmniDiskSweeper from here for free

http://omnidisksweeper.en.softonic.com/mac

That will show you where all your large files are, usually Music, Movies and Photos.

Good Luck

Pete

May 13, 2012 3:39 AM in response to petermac87

Please do not recommend OmniDiskSweeper without the appropriate caution.

OmniDiskSweeper is a useful utiity, but it needs to be handled with care. You will see many large files and directories which you will not understand the purpose of and the deletion of which will totally wreck your system.

Use ODS by all means, but do not delete ANYTHING that is not a file you have personally created and only if you are sure you know what it is. Also backup your disk before going off to delete things which in the heat of the moment to free up space you think are not worth keeping, but which you may later regret not having.

May 13, 2012 5:24 AM in response to softwater

softwater wrote:

Please do not recommend OmniDiskSweeper without the appropriate caution.

OmniDiskSweeper is a useful utiity, but it needs to be handled with care. You will see many large files and directories which you will not understand the purpose of and the deletion of which will totally wreck your system.

Use ODS by all means, but do not delete ANYTHING that is not a file you have personally created and only if you are sure you know what it is. Also backup your disk before going off to delete things which in the heat of the moment to free up space you think are not worth keeping, but which you may later regret not having.

The precautions are noted on the download site, which are there for people to read. Otherwise I do not see my post as mentioning deleting a single file, only (as per the instructions provided by the Developer's) to check where the large files were residing on the drive. Please do not add information to a post that was not included in the first place.

Thanks

Pete

I keep getting the error message 'STARTUP DISK IS FULL' my comp is only 5 months old. what do I do?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.