Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iMac DVD player doesn't recognise DVDs. Keeps ejecting them.

Hi,

I've been having problems with my iMac recently, more precisely with my DVD drive.

I think it's a software problem, and no mechanical problem. Let me explain:

When I insert a DVD:

- it will sometimes work perfectly. I can read, burn or whatever I feel like…

- it will sometimes not work. I don't know why, but the drive gives a few try (mechanical noises), and than ejects the DVD. If I try a few more times to reinsert it, it will sometimes just keep the DVD and not eject it, without recognizing it. When I try to open the Disk Utility program, it will simply froze. Or it will open after 5 minutes, but the DVD player will not exist and not appear.

I need to restart the computer. Sometimes it will work after the restart. Sometimes not. It's really random, and I haven't found out on what it depends… Sometimes, when I reboot it because of a trapped-unrecognized DVD, the DVD player will not open. "Initialization error [-70012]"…

I've tried Option-Cmd-P-R at the Start, but it didn't help… I feel like there's something wrong with the software.

It's a 2 years old iMac, using Snow Leopard (Mac OS X 10.6.8).

I've tried looking on the net, but a lot of people are experiencing mechanical problems (it simply never works), which I think is not the case here (it does randomly work perfectly).

Any help would be amazingly appreciated! Thank you!

iMac (24-inch Early 2009), Mac OS X (10.6.8)

Posted on May 13, 2012 4:16 AM

9 replies

May 13, 2012 2:02 PM in response to ulyssedupac

Sighs--I'm having the same problem...my Audio CDs work just fine when I pop them in but not DVDs...I have an old software system (still have Tiger)--but DO want to upgrade...for that I need to get the disc software...thing is, if my disc drive doesn't recognize DVDs in general, like duh? How can I upgrade....want to keep an eye on this discussion in case someone can answer the question for both of us--oh and my computer is five years old!

iMac DVD player doesn't recognise DVDs. Keeps ejecting them.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.