Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I tried burning a DVD in iDVD and it's turned slow. I've burned this DVD before and it only takes 35-40 minutes to burn (one step from movie option). It's only 500mb. When I went to burn it this time it says it's going to take over 5 hours.

I tried burning a DVD in iDVD and it's turned slow. I've burned this DVD before and it only takes 35-40 minutes to burn (one step from movie option). It's only 500mb. When I went to burn it this time it says it's going to take over 5 hours.

There haven't been any updates since the last time i burned this same video, and I tried updating everything and cleaning the computer and just not sure why now it is taking so long to burn such a small file. I have several other videos that i've burned in the past that only take an hour and now it wants to take 8 hours to burn those same videos. It's not the burner as it'll burn files fine...seems to be limited to iDVD.

Any Ideas?

iDVD-OTHER, Mac OS X (10.7.4)

Posted on May 13, 2012 6:43 AM

12 replies

May 14, 2012 9:17 AM in response to shakyjake64

Try this workflow:

Once you have the project as you want it save it as a disk image via the File ➙ Save as Disk Image menu option. This will separate the encoding process from the burn process.

To check the encoding mount the disk image and launch DVD Player and play it. If it plays OK with DVD Player the encoding was good.

Then burn to disk with Disk Utility or Toast at the slowest speed available (2x-4x) to assure the best burn quality. Always use top quality media: Verbatim, Maxell or Taiyo Yuden DVD-R are the most recommended in these forums.

Then you check the disk image before burning it to disk.

May 14, 2012 2:52 PM in response to Old Toad

The thing is I'm not doing it as a project, just the "one step from movie". You don't have the option of saving as disk image. I did burn a copy last night and the encoding is ok. It plays fine, just took 5 hours to complete. I', using Sony DVDs.

My big question is what changed in a matter of minutes between burning copies that made it go from 40 minutes to complete to 5 hours. I litereally got done burning one copy and put another disk in and everything changed.

May 16, 2012 7:38 AM in response to Old Toad

I reboot my macbook every time am done with it. I never leave it running unless its busy doing something.

When I was doing this though I'm doing the "one step from movie" option so I don't have a menu. But even so, i don't want to throw a bandaid on the problem, i want to solve it. It shouldn't take that long to finish a one step or a project..something's wrong as I've burned this video before and it only took 40 minutes. I burned this video the other night using one step option to see if it would even burn. It did take over 5 hours and it did burn, but it shouldn't take that long.

May 16, 2012 7:57 AM in response to Old Toad

Called Apple and they were able to figure it out and did it for free since it was actually a super easy fix. Here's what they had me do:

1 - In advanced menu "delete encoded assets" which I had already done.

2 - In the "Library" menu, go to "Caches" and delete all.

3 - Back to the "Library" and go to preferences...then find any of the "com.apple..." files for iDVD and delete them.

Problem solved...AND they didn't charge me!!

Old Toad, thank you for the effort....it is greatly appreciated...and I did learn the create disk image thing from you to make the next burn time quicker!!! Thank you again!!

May 16, 2012 9:48 AM in response to shakyjake64

Hi

But next time - You can also do - If You get a working DVD - first time.

Use Disk Util tool - to make a copy of it - Musch faster.

THEN - REMEMBER to not BURN more than three at a time and let the DVD-laser-burner cool down for 20-30 minutes till next batch. IT is very easy to over-heat the laser ====> Expencive Repair ! !

I do also

• use Verbatim DVDs (only as they work so much better for me)

• DVD-R - as they also play on older DVD-Players

• Set down burn speed to x2 =====> Less Burn Errors ==> Plays so much better

• Secure a minimum of 25Gb free space on Start-up hard disk - to make iDVD and Mac OS to run OK (IMPORTANT)

Yours Bengt W

Feb 14, 2013 6:26 AM in response to jonathan1214

Your problem may not be exactly the same as that of the original poster of this old thread, and it can be very confusing for everybody if we try to answer more than one question in each thread.

In order for us to give your problem our undivided attention to try to solve it, would you kindly start your own thread, describing the trouble you are having in the fullest detail, including completing your details to show what Mac you are using, what operating system, and what version of the application in question.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.