Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to you sign in under administrator

I have been having a hard time finding out how to log on to the administrator account. I am a single user and would prefer not to make a second account being that administrator is already on the system.

I am installing software and it does not always ask for the administrator password. Then the installation has some kind of error becuase it did not have admin rights. I have seen references to using sudo, which I have never gotten to work. Also the instructions are for someone who is familiar with the system and commands and are not step by step. A lot of good that does. I am not above learning this way as well but, it has now become a bit of a challenge to log into the administrator account.

So, my main concern is how do I bypass the log on screen for me to get to the administrator log on. Second, then how do I use terminal to log on to administrator to install. Third, is there a good tutorial and manual on how to use ther terminal for installing programs and such?

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.7.4)

Posted on May 13, 2012 8:24 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 13, 2012 8:29 AM

If you are using an administrator account then the most you should have to do is periodically type in the administrator password should some installer request it. I don't think there is any additional administrator login necessary. It is possible, I guess, something else is wrong with the computer.

It would help to have details on the specific cases where it is asking for this information, such as which application you are installing. You want to make sure it is a bona-fide application.

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 13, 2012 8:29 AM in response to Harryrf

If you are using an administrator account then the most you should have to do is periodically type in the administrator password should some installer request it. I don't think there is any additional administrator login necessary. It is possible, I guess, something else is wrong with the computer.

It would help to have details on the specific cases where it is asking for this information, such as which application you are installing. You want to make sure it is a bona-fide application.

May 13, 2012 9:15 AM in response to Limnos

I did find out that I am already administrator. I finally found a page that told me how to make myself administrator through system preferences, User and groups. Now I am really confused. (I have been searching pages since yesterday afternoon on this topic)

I am trying to install Poser and Daz 3d on my computer and both are asking for tha administrator password. I had tried my id. Poser said I did not have rights to override a file. (poserdebut runtime) and Daz just gave me an error but continued install.

Yes, these are bonafide applications.

From the other posts and comments I was finding on this they mentioned either making a seperate admin account or installing through the terminal screen as admin.

May 13, 2012 9:28 AM in response to Harryrf

Try starting in Safe Mode in case the installers are trying to overwrite active elements.

Mac OS X: Starting up in Safe Mode - http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1455

What is Safe Boot, Safe Mode? (Mac OS X) - http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1564

Safe Boot takes longer than normal startup - http://support.apple.com/kb/TS1884

Ummm..., nothing concrete but personally I would make sure you have a bootable backup of your computer before installing something that is that invoved to install.

May 13, 2012 9:42 AM in response to Harryrf

OS X does not have an explicit "administrator" account like other systems. The first user account created by Setup Assistant when the Mac was first started is granted administrator privileges. From that point forward, whenever a management task is carried out, the system will request that account's password as validation; thus it works as the "administrator's password". These tasks include, as you have probably found out, creating other user accounts, which can be regular, unprivileged or administrator-enabled. And all administrator accounts are of equal privilege, all can do the same tasks.

So if these apps are not letting you install, there may be some permissions issue on the hard disk drive. I suggest you restart the Mac while holding down the Command and R keys, this is called Recovery Mode. After choosing the language (if it is your first visit to Recovery Mode) to get past that screen, select Disk Utility from the list and Continue. Click on the hard disk device (xxx.xx GB APPLE HDD xxxxx) by clicking on the list at left, then click on Repair Disk. Then click on the startup volume (Macintosh HD) and do Repair Disk again. Repeat if necessary until a green warning appears stating that the volume has no errors. Click on Repair Disk Permissions. This will take awhile to finish, and only needs to be done once. Quit Disk Utility and Restart from the menu. Now try again to install your apps.

How to you sign in under administrator

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.