Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Direct shutdown of programs

I would love to be able to shut down a program directly and have the CHOICE of minimizing it to the dock. With the issue of battery running out pretty fast (even if taking meassures) I really don´t see how Apples developers were thinking here. The best (only) option I have found so far is a "hack" making the icons wiggle directly when double tapping the home button, but that clearly has some down sides to it. Sure, multi tasking is great, but it should be an option to use when you choose to and not one run down your throat… Hmmm, sounding a bit angry and bitter here =) I still like the phone a lot, it´s just annoying. Any one knows about a solution? Is Apple doing something about this? Am I the only one complaining?

iPhone 4, iOS 5.1.1

Posted on May 13, 2012 8:29 AM

6 replies

May 13, 2012 8:40 AM in response to marten74

The only apps that actually run in the background are audio streaming and nav apps. The rest are frozen in their last opened stare for rapid task switching.

There is rarely any reason to close them on the "multitasking" bar. The iOS manages memory and frees up what's needed automatically. The main reason to close apps on the multitasking bar is to clean it up in order to find recently opened apps more quickly.

May 14, 2012 12:28 PM in response to Allan Sampson

Thanks!

Good article. Nice to know the programs in the back ground are not eating battery (or at least not enough to really worry about it). As modular747 wrote, one reason to actually close a program is to avoid having the "task bar" cluttered when you would like fast access to programs you use regulary. Even if I´m happy with your answer, why could there not be an option to directly shut down a program? Let´s say you use a program you know you open up very seldom and want to avoid the problem mentioned before. One idea could be to have three taps on the home button to kill a program, or mayby two taps on the power button.

Direct shutdown of programs

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.