Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

System Preferences don't work - programs are showing '?' in the dock

I've tried removing the iPhoto app and relocating the pictures, didn't work

I've tried the CMD-OPT-P-R at reboot, didn't work.

Can't access system preferences at all from the menu, it's not greyed out, just doesn't respond when accessed.

I'm on a hard connection to the net, no wi-fi right now.

When trying to change date & time in top right, can't access prefrences thru there either.

Just lost my Fireworks program... it had a ? on the dock for a day or so, now it's gone.

I'm running OS X 10.5.8

Was cleaning out ol pictures recently, may have done something the system didn't like.

I have a back up from TimeMachine if restore is a solution.

Suggestions?

iMac, Mac OS X (10.5.8)

Posted on May 13, 2012 11:04 AM

4 replies

May 13, 2012 11:34 AM in response to kookiekm

I also tried OnyX -- couldn't run it.

The following report was generated after 'quit unexpectedly'

Process: OnyX [253]
Path: /Volumes/OnyX 2.4.6b1/OnyX.app/Contents/MacOS/OnyX
Identifier: com.titanium.OnyX
Version: ??? (???)
Code Type: X86-64 (Native)

Parent Process: launchd [86]

Interval Since Last Report: 1107840 sec
Crashes Since Last Report: 12

Per-App Interval Since Last Report: 0 sec

Per-App Crashes Since Last Report: 3

Date/Time: 2012-05-13 11:32:38.471 -0700
OS Version: Mac OS X 10.5.8 (9L31a)

Report Version: 6

Anonymous UUID: 85E80CA3-C894-4BB5-905B-5BFF71BC21D4

Exception Type: EXC_BREAKPOINT (SIGTRAP)

Exception Codes: 0x0000000000000002, 0x0000000000000000

Crashed Thread: 0

Dyld Error Message:

unknown required load command 0x80000022

May 13, 2012 1:21 PM in response to kookiekm

Could be many things, we should start with this...

"Try Disk Utility

1. Insert the Mac OS X Install disc, then restart the computer while holding the C key.

2. When your computer finishes starting up from the disc, choose Disk Utility from the Installer menu at top of the screen. (In Mac OS X 10.4 or later, you must select your language first.)

*Important: Do not click Continue in the first screen of the Installer. If you do, you must restart from the disc again to access Disk Utility.*

3. Click the First Aid tab.

4. Select your Mac OS X volume.

5. Click Repair Disk, (not Repair Permissions). Disk Utility checks and repairs the disk."

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=106214

Then try a Safe Boot, (holding Shift key down at bootup), run Disk Utility in Applications>Utilities, then highlight your drive, click on Repair Permissions, reboot when it completes.

(Safe boot may stay on the gray radian for a long time, let it go, it's trying to repair the Hard Drive.)

If perchance you can't find your install Disc, at least try it from the Safe Boot part onward.

May 13, 2012 3:13 PM in response to BDAqua

Tried all of this step by step. The Repair Permissions came up with this:

Version:1.0 StartHTML:0000000167 EndHTML:0000007358 StartFragment:0000000454 EndFragment:0000007342

Repairing permissions for “Macintosh HD”

Reading permissions database.

Reading the permissions database can take several minutes.

Permissions differ on "System/Library/CoreServices/Front Row.app/Contents/CodeResources", should be -rw-r--r-- , they are lrw-r--r-- .

Permissions differ on "System/Library/CoreServices/Front Row.app/Contents/PlugIns/DVD.frappliance/Contents/CodeResources", should be -rw-r--r-- , they are lrw-r--r-- .

Permissions differ on "System/Library/CoreServices/Front Row.app/Contents/PlugIns/FRSettings.frappliance/Contents/CodeResources", should be -rw-r--r-- , they are lrw-r--r-- .

Permissions differ on "System/Library/CoreServices/Front Row.app/Contents/PlugIns/FRSources.frappliance/Contents/CodeResources", should be -rw-r--r-- , they are lrw-r--r-- .

Permissions differ on "System/Library/CoreServices/Front Row.app/Contents/PlugIns/Movies.frappliance/Contents/CodeResources", should be -rw-r--r-- , they are lrw-r--r-- .

Permissions differ on "System/Library/CoreServices/Front Row.app/Contents/PlugIns/Music.frappliance/Contents/CodeResources", should be -rw-r--r-- , they are lrw-r--r-- .

Permissions differ on "System/Library/CoreServices/Front Row.app/Contents/PlugIns/Photos.frappliance/Contents/CodeResources", should be -rw-r--r-- , they are lrw-r--r-- .

Permissions differ on "System/Library/CoreServices/Front Row.app/Contents/PlugIns/Podcasts.frappliance/Contents/CodeResources", should be -rw-r--r-- , they are lrw-r--r-- .

Permissions differ on "System/Library/CoreServices/Front Row.app/Contents/PlugIns/TV.frappliance/Contents/CodeResources", should be -rw-r--r-- , they are lrw-r--r-- .

Permissions differ on "System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/BackRow.framework/Versions/A/CodeResources", should be -rw-r--r-- , they are lrw-r--r-- .

Permissions differ on "Library/Frameworks/HPSmartPrint.framework", should be drwxrwxr-x , they are lrwxrwxr-x .

Permissions differ on "Library/Printers/hp/Utilities/HP Printer Selector.app/Contents/Resources/English.lproj/MainMenu.nib", should be drwxrwxr-x , they are -rwxrwxr-x .

Permissions differ on "Library/Printers/hp/Utilities/HP Printer Selector.app", should be drwxrwxr-x , they are lrwxrwxr-x .

Permissions differ on "Library/Printers/hp/Utilities/HP Printer Utility.app/Contents/Resources/English.lproj/MainMenu.nib", should be drwxrwxr-x , they are -rwxrwxr-x .

Permissions differ on "Library/Printers/hp/Utilities/HP Printer Utility.app/Contents/Resources/launcher", should be -rwxrwxr-x , they are lrwxrwxr-x .

Warning: SUID file "System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/DiskManagement.framework/Versions/A/Resources /DiskManagementTool" has been modified and will not be repaired.

Warning: SUID file "usr/sbin/pppd" has been modified and will not be repaired.

Warning: SUID file "usr/sbin/vpnd" has been modified and will not be repaired.

ACL found but not expected on "Applications/Utilities".

Stil nothing when I try to select system preferences... Now my Adobe Acrobat icon shows a ?... they're dying off one by one it seems.. Any more suggestions?

System Preferences don't work - programs are showing '?' in the dock

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.