Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

App to copy files from iPad to Mac?

What Mac OS X apps, free or fee, allow copying any files whatsoever from iPad to Mac?

In particular, is m-ipad-to-mac-transfer such an app that's safe (free of malware)? I ask about this one because the author is unclear and I haven't found it on standard third-party Mac download sites or reviewed on known-reputable sites.

iMac, Mac OS X (10.7.3), 3.4GHz Corei7, 16GB, SSD + 2T HD

Posted on May 13, 2012 1:32 PM

26 replies

May 13, 2012 5:37 PM in response to murrayE

There are many apps that will copy and store files, even if they can't be read on the iPad (Dropbox, Box.net, Sugarsync) or Goodreader (a document reader).

Short of jailbreaking, there is no way to install an app besides purchasing it from the App Store and either downloading directly to the iPad or syncing through iTunes. Even if you transferred a "safe" app with one of the above methods, none of them can open and execute an app.

If you have jailbroken your iPad, you'll have to see elsewhere for support - discussion of jailbroken iPads is not allowed on this forum.

May 13, 2012 8:25 PM in response to PogoPossum

PogoPossum wrote:

There are many apps that will copy and store files, even if they can't be read on the iPad (Dropbox, Box.net, Sugarsync) or Goodreader (a document reader).

Short of jailbreaking, there is no way to install an app besides purchasing it from the App Store and either downloading directly to the iPad or syncing through iTunes. Even if you transferred a "safe" app with one of the above methods, none of them can open and execute an app.

I do not want an app on the iPad end - rather, on the Mac end!

And I do not want a reader or some internet-based cloud-storage app (like Dropbox, etc.)

Rather, I want an app on my Mac under OS X that, when I connect the iPad via the usual cable, will give me Finder-like access to all the files on the iPad - so that I can download whatever ones I want from iPad to Mac.

May 13, 2012 8:31 PM in response to pjl123

pjl123 wrote:

Take a look at the app called file browser. It copies a real wide range of files, and has the look and feel of a windows file management approach, but works within the iOS approach.

File Browser's description says nothing whatsoever about being able to copy files from iPad to Mac, but rather the other way 'round. I want to copy from iPad to Mac.

File Browser's description suggests all action is done on the iPad. That's not at all convenient: I want to be able to do this from a Finder-like interface of a Mac-based app.

Or did I misinterpret the description of File Browser?

May 13, 2012 8:38 PM in response to Johnathan Burger

Johnathan Burger wrote:

The only officially supported way is through iTunes.

Buying a third party application to do so means you are on your own or have to rely on support from the developer.

If it is not a program from a trusted source, I would not risk it.

I use many apps on my Mac that are not from the App Store and that are from third-parties who are well-known and widely trusted -- including, e.g., Wolfram Mathematica, R, Titanium Systems' OnyX, JSoftware's J.

But it so happens that the on-line links to the m-ipad-to-mac-transfer app seem limited to the origin and a bunch of download sites that WOT (Web of Trust) flags yellow or red. Hence my suspicions of that one.

May 14, 2012 9:14 AM in response to murrayE

murrayE wrote:

PogoPossum wrote:

I do not want an app on the iPad end - rather, on the Mac end!

And I do not want a reader or some internet-based cloud-storage app (like Dropbox, etc.)

Rather, I want an app on my Mac under OS X that, when I connect the iPad via the usual cable, will give me Finder-like access to all the files on the iPad - so that I can download whatever ones I want from iPad to Mac.

That was not clear from your post.

There is no universal app that will bring content from your iPad to your Mac. Nor is there any Mac app that will give you Finder access to the iPad. The very nature of the iOS operating system is that there is no all encompassing folder structure to access like there is in Windows or Mac OS. Each individual app can have ways to export/share content, some of which are cloud-based and some of which can work with iTunes. Many apps also have the ability to save to a cloud storage app (such as Dropbox), export to Evernote, etc.

May 16, 2012 9:43 AM in response to Johnathan Burger

Johnathan Burger wrote:

Googling the question shows several options, some from developers I have heard of such as:

http://www.xilisoft.com/ipad-to-mac-transfer.html

That app does not seem to allow transfer from iPad to Mac of arbitrary apps' files -- just Music, Movies, Playlists, Books, Photos, Camera Roll, Ringtones, Contacts, and Messages.

App to copy files from iPad to Mac?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.