Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

spotlight constantly reindexing

Running 10.5.8, spotlight shows with a dot and when I click on it I get a bar with the message "Indexing Imac", and "About -2147483648 hours remaining". I tried disabling indexing from the command line (sudo mdutil -E /) but got the response

> Error: unable to perform operation. (-1)

> Indexing enabled.

Then I tried dragging the hard disk onto privacy and then off, as given in online instructions - the hard disk went in and disappeared so I was not able to select it - and it also is removed from Finder!

There are 2 mdworker processes, one owned by _spotlight and one by another user. Is this normal? Neither one is using much CPU, the machine is maybe a little slower than it used to be but not seriously slower as it would be if it were really doing anything. The machine has been running for 4 days, and has been rebooted several times since it started doing this. The other user is not signed on.

Thanks

iMac, Mac OS X (10.5.8)

Posted on May 13, 2012 4:36 PM

3 replies

May 13, 2012 6:50 PM in response to sfsg

Not normal... except I find Spotlight cantankerous , useless, & prone to problems.

Have you used Disk Utility to Verify/Repair all Drives & repared Permissions yet?

Open Console in Utiluities & see if any clues are going by.

In the meantime, I use hese two to get the job done with less headaches...

Find Any File...

http://apps.tempel.org/FindAnyFile/

I'd get EasyFind...

http://www.devon-technologies.com/download/

Near the bottom of the page.

May 13, 2012 7:37 PM in response to BDAqua

Thanks, yes, I did make sure the disk was good, and there were no error messages I could see.

I asked my son and he had me reboot and reset the prom. Resetting the prom worked, it is no longer misbehaving. And I remade the icon for the hard drive, so now the computer is back to normal.

I always reboot and check the disk on any problem, now I will have to add reset the prom to my list of magic tricks.

spotlight constantly reindexing

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.