Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

mac mail and sbc yahoo

I just switced to SBC Yahoo DSL (now AT&T). with the new DSL line installed, I was able to send emails from Entourage but not receive them. SBC tells me they do not support Entoruage so I tried using Mac Mail. With Mac Mail, I can receive emails but cannot send them. Now SBC is telling me they do not support ANY email programs for Mac OSX.

can anyone help me out?

Now that I'm using Mac Mail, I prefer that (though I would like to know how to get rid of a flower icon that appears in the header of emails sent from me).

thanks!

iMac G4 Mac OS X (10.4.5)

iMac G4, Mac OS X (10.4.2)

Posted on Mar 8, 2006 11:48 AM

7 replies

Mar 8, 2006 12:00 PM in response to sheila scott

I'm using Mac Mail with SBC without any problem.

Make sure that in your account settings for SBC, the outgoing server shows smtp.sbcglobal.yahoo.com.

Click the Server Settings button.

Make sure Authentication is set to Password, your user name includes the "@sbcglobal.net" part, and that your password is entered correctly. That should work.

Good luck!

Mar 8, 2006 12:25 PM in response to sheila scott

Well, here is exactly how I have my setting:

Outgoing Mail Server: smtp.sbcglobal.yahoo.com
Server Settings:

Server Port: 25
Do not check SSL
Authentication: password
Username: name@sbcglobal.net
Password: password

Under the advanced tab, Port 110
SSL NOT checked.
Authentication: Password

If you've triple check all these options, I'd create a new account from scratch and re-enter everything.

If that doesn't work, try creating a new account on your mac, log in to that, and re-create the mail account to see if by some strange happenstance something has gotten f-ed up on a low level that is causing you not to be able to send mail. (though I have no idea what that would be...)

I'll keep my fingers crossed!!!

Mar 8, 2006 2:07 PM in response to sheila scott

I've been reading about all the problems people have had after the 3/1/06 security update ... so I went to my laptop that I have not yet installed the update - the laptop is operating on 10.4

I'm afraid to say it out loud but the sbc yahoo dsl seems to work on that computer. but i still cannot send emails from the desktop that is 10.4.5

I noticed some people said they ran the Combo Update from February ... were you running that AFTER running the 3/1/06 update? does it revert back to the old version then?

thanks! sheila

iMac G4 Mac OS X (10.4.5)

Mar 13, 2006 6:00 PM in response to Matthew Friedman

sorry for the delayed reply and thanks to all who weighed in with their help. (down with the flu for a few days).

i finally was able to resolve this problem ... but it required an in-depth chat session with an apple tech and setting up an entire new account on my computer. very time-consuming & frustrating but ... at least this problem is solved. On to the next ...!

mac mail and sbc yahoo

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.