Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Convert Previews to Masters in Aperture?

Ok so I have come to terms with the fact that despite my aperture Vaults saying all was backed up, the stupid thing ACTUALLY only backed up around 50% of my library!!!!

So.....

I now have a library with 10,000 masters online and 10,000 masters offline.

I have lost those masters but luckily the vast majority of my images previews are fairly large JPEGS.

My question is...

Is it possible to convert those previews into masters in situe? I know I can export them by dragging etc but can your really imagine how afwul re-arranging 10,000 random photos back into their appropriate projects will be!

Any nuggets of info would be very helpful!

Cheers,

p.s - dont trust vaults!!!! - I have now learnt and have a crash plan subscription also! - bit late now but consider me schooled!

Posted on May 13, 2012 5:48 PM

2 replies

May 14, 2012 7:53 AM in response to Brad Clark1

Sorry to ay there is no way of turning the previews into masters without the drag out import loop.

You could ease the work somewhat by using an Automator workflow setup as a folder action. When you drag the images out of Aperture you drop them into the folder with the attached Automator action that would import the files into Aperture.

To address your backup situation. Can't say what happened to your vaults it's really painful when this sort of thing happens. I've been using vaults for 2 years now and have never had a problem. What is important with any backup plan is to occasionally restore from the backups just as you would if your library was really destroyed and to make sure what you think is being backed up is what is really being backed up. The time to find out your backups aren't what you thing they are is not when you really need them.

And this holds for any method: vaults, Time Machine, clones, off-site or on-line backups, etc. No backup procedure is foolproof and they can all develop problems.

regards

May 14, 2012 8:25 AM in response to Brad Clark1

No help beyond Frank's good advice, but are you aware that Vaults do not back up Referenced Masters? See:

http://www.apertureexpert.com/tips/2010/6/15/aperture-3-vaults-whats-backed-up-a nd-what-isnt.html

I use primarily a Managed Library (exception is video from my DSLR, which I reference) and I back up via a clone of the Aperture Library, updated via the Smart Update feature in SuperDuper. 5 to 10 minutes of time keeps my clone uptodate whenever I schedule. This primary Library is over 1 TB in size, and has over 60,000 images, largely from RAW.

Ernie

Convert Previews to Masters in Aperture?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.