Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone/iTunes Wifi sync doesn't work

Hi guys,

I don't even have hope to solve this problem anymore but I guess I should post this anyway and show apple the crap software they're giving us.

I'm on Lion 10.7.4 (iTunes 10.6.1) and, after upgrading my iPhone 4 to iOS 5.1.1, my Wifi sync with iTunes stopped working. Out of nowhere. Looking for an answer I started digging on apple foruns and found out there are dozens of threads discussing the problem and literally hundreds of possible solutions. I've tried the following:

- Restart iTunes and iPhone (full power cycle).

- Check the "Sync over Wifi" option on iTunes when iPhone is connected using cable

- Uncheck the "Block iPhone, iPod and iPad from automatically sync" on iTunes > preferences > devices.

- Restart Router

- Reinstalling iTunes

- Restore iPhone

- Move to trash "com.apple.iTunes" and "MobileDevices.framework" files. Restart Mac after.

- Make Airport on Mac and iPhone forget the saved networks and reconfig them

- Open ports on router 123 (all), 3689 (TCP) and 5353 (UDP)

- Disable and enable uPnP on router

- Install Remote app

- Use "Release Liase" option on iPhone under Settings > General > Network > Wifi > Blue Arrow

NONE solved it. I gave up. Apple *****.

Interesting behaviours:

- Remote app doesn't work at all. I can't use it under Home Sharing or that code thing. My phone and Mac simple can't see each other anymore.

- iPhone conects fine using cable. Everything is working and, when I pull out the cable, iPhone vanish from the list. Even with the Wifi option enabled.

So, if any of you can solve it, you will have a place in heaven. And in Apple developing team, probably.

Thank you!

Mac OS X (10.7.4), iOS 5.1.1

Posted on May 13, 2012 5:46 PM

111 replies

May 19, 2012 5:18 AM in response to rodrigonewton

Same problem here with iTunes 10.6.1: neither of my idevices (iPad, iPhone) show in iTunes, eventhough iTunes settings were configured to enable WIFI syncing. Everything was fine in iTunes 10.6.0; unfortunately there is no way to revert to the prior install (as far as I can tell) . Clearly the mysterious dissapearance of WIFI sync from iTunes 10.6.1 is a bug. Send Apple your feedback HERE (http://www.apple.com/feedback/itunesapp.html)

May 22, 2012 5:24 PM in response to joejohns90

When I first experienced the problem, my settings were set to enable WIFI sync in iTunes, but my iDevices would not connect or maintain a connection via WIFI. Tried looking through the logs in Console, but could not determine where the problem was. I was finally able to re-establish sync over WIFI by toggling the setting on and off.

This was before my upgrade from Snow Leopard to Lion on May 20th. (I did a clean install, I know it's not necessary but I'm a reformed windows dweeb and a firm believer in clean installs). After reinstalling and setting up iTunes, I noticed the same odd behavior. Here's the weird part: I could swear that I had enabled WIFI sync in the fresh install of iTunes, but when I checked the following morning, the settings were not enabled. Either I'm not getting enough sleep, or iTunes is reverting my settings (most likely the former).

I digressed: I experienced the same problem this morning, and I found that simply closing and re-opening iTunes enabled my iDevices to connect and sync. I found that it also helps to have WIFI turned on the iPhone/iPad before starting iTunes.

May 22, 2012 6:18 PM in response to ou812ManySushi

Hi guys,

As I suspected, none of the previous solutions worked. I strongly believe this is some crap in iOS 5.1.1 OR iTunes 10.6.1. More precisely: this is APPLE fault, not something we did wrong or didn't do.

My Wifi sync worked great before this updates (Lion 10.7.2 and iOS 5.0). I can't isolate the problem because I did both updates in less than 24h from one another. Now I'm back to cable and I think I'll still be until Mountain Lion is out.

@rodrigonewtonI sent apple my feedback. Basically everything I wrote here. And I can't connect bluetooth either. Luckily I barely use bluetooth on my Mac.

@ou812ManySushi Lucky you! I'd already tried this without success. What is your iTunes and iOS?

@joejohns90 Doesn't work here, the option is ALWAYS greyed, waiting for my Mac to do something. The only way the "sync over Wifi" button work is pluging the cable. Ironic, isn't it?

Anyway, thanks for the feedbacks guys!

May 22, 2012 6:40 PM in response to hpmarcus

Preparations:

Make sure iPhone Wi-Fi is working through your local Wi-Fi router.

Connect and select iPhone to iTunes.

In Summary page, select Sync with this iPhone over Wi-Fi.

Click Sync button (bottom right)

Just unplug iPhone from cable (don't use the eject button/icon)

Wireless sync

iPhone needs to be connected to a power source (automatically) or manually in Settings > General > iTunes Wi-Fi Sync > Sync Now.

FYI, I am also using Lion 10.7.4 and iTunes 10.6.1 (7) 64 bit version.

The Mac mentioned above came with Leopard, I have updated every major and minor releases.

May 22, 2012 7:16 PM in response to ckuan

Didn't work.

The steps I did:

- Plug iPhone on Mac

- iTunes opens automatically. Select iPhone in the list on the left

- Summary > uncheck Wifi Sync

- Sync (bottom right)

- Closed iTunes and unplug iPhone

- Plug iPhone again and reopen iTunes

- Check Wifi Sync

- Sync (bottom right)

- unplug iPhone (iPhone dissapear in the list - this didn't happen before my updates)

- Plug iPhone to a power source

- Settings > General > iTunes Wifi sync > Sync now GRAYED.

I can't be doing something wrong. My Wifi connection on iPhone works great, as in my mac. iTunes works great. Everything works great (except for the newly discovered Bluetootth file transfer between Mac and iPhone).

What is your iOS? If it is not 5.1.1 maybe this is where the problem is.

Thanks for the feedback.

May 22, 2012 7:29 PM in response to hpmarcus

I also have updated IOS from 5.0 to 5.1 then to 5.1.1 (9B206)

Just for the records I also have 2 iPod Touches connected wirelessly and also Wi-Fi sync (one at a time)

Bluetooth file transfer between Mac and iPhone?

As far as I know iPhone does not support File Transfer profile natively.

Message was edited by: ckuan

May 22, 2012 7:31 PM in response to hpmarcus

Mine is 5.1.1, itunes 10.6.1 and Snow Leopard 10.6.8... iphone 4 and macbook pro mid-2009...

I've tried everything in this post and nothing worked until now... neither wi-fi nor bluetooth... Wi-fi sync always grayed, except when is cable connected...😮

F&%#ing ios 5.1.1!!!!

I just want ONE SINGLE solution to sync my iphone with my macbook... it doesn't matter if it's via wi-fi or bluetooth... the only thing that matters is to work for good....

I'm so fu$#%$ing disappointed right now...

May 22, 2012 7:41 PM in response to ckuan

So, I don't know where the problem is, but I'm convicted it's something related to recent updates. I had this feature working and out of nowhere it stopped. Also, there are a lot of other threads here about the same issue. It's nearly impossible to be some tweak or configuration that everybody is doing wrong. Apple is the faulty one here. Luckily (and probably) Mountain Lion will correct this.

And sorry for say something that wasn't true (the bluetooth case). I don't know much about bluetooth - I don't use it and honestly don't care that much. But the Wifi sync... I used that a lot and really wanted that back.

iPhone/iTunes Wifi sync doesn't work

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.