Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Since upgrading to 10.7.4 the screen savers on my iMac freeze

Since upgrading my iMac to 10.7.4 my screensaver now tends to freeze, requiring a forced reboot of the mac. Stuff does seem to be running under the hood still but I have no way to access it via the UI. I can ssh into the iMac from my other macs and Top claims all is quiet, but I can't actually use the iMac again unless I force a reboot by holding down the power button. This is less than ideal.

It inly happens on my iMac however, and not on my MBP or MacMini.

The workaround for now is for me to disable the screen saver but that's hardly a sustainable solution.

Time Capsule-OTHER, Mac OS X (10.7), new 3TB time capsule & new 27" iMac

Posted on May 13, 2012 7:32 PM

25 replies

May 13, 2012 9:55 PM in response to PaulKemp

Actually it's not the screen saver I've just worked out. (All basic apple standard screens avers) but ithe problem seems to be trying to wake the screen up when the screen sleeps.

Right now I've set screen savers to 'never' and iTunes is happily playing but I can't wake the screen up. It's just glowing black. I can use the volume controls.

If I SSH into the mac from my other mac and run top there is not much happening. iTunes is using about 2% of my CPU and the backupd says it's 'stuck' all other threads are 'sleeping'.

Naturally I can't run the Console app without forcing a reboot of the mac to gain control of it again. I've looked in various log files in /var/log/ but nothing stands out as weird.

I've repaired permissions, verified the disks etc just to be thorough but that's not helped.

Curiously I just tried to remote-desktop (using ARD) into the iMac but it says 'connection failed'

May 13, 2012 10:43 PM in response to PaulKemp

I've fixed the ARD issues — it's unrelated to my problem.

The next thing I am trying is turning off the need for authentication to wake up from sleep or screensaver.

Looking in Console.app now I see nothing too odd.

I am seeing a lot of

'PM kernel: en1 duplicate IP address 192.168.1.153 sent from address c8:2a:14:23:75:e1' though but I can't

1) work out what device c8:2a:14:23:75:e1 refers to, or

2) see how that would be related to my issue.

Jun 12, 2012 5:22 PM in response to Dave Sag

I have had a similar issue with my wifes new imac 27". After the screen saver kicks in on its own and puts it to sleep, it wont wake up when you hit the space bar etc.The screen saver just keeps going. Another comment I read identified the securty settings as a potential culprit. After speakking with support it seems that is the case. Apparently the issue was due to having the screen saver set to a shorter time than the setting which requires a log-in. I had that set to four hours and the scren saver set to 45min. I was told to set the time required for log-in to less than 45min. Apparentlky the issue wont happen if you forcce sleep. Only when it happens on its own. I have only just changed the settings and can't yet say if it works. I can say my Mac Pro has never had the issue, but I've never had the log-in required checked in the security system preferences.

P

Jun 12, 2012 5:33 PM in response to FlyinPhil

Hi @FlyinPhil, I also suspected the security settings so, to experiment, have had my iMac running without the need to enter a password to wake it up from screensaver or sleep. The problem still persists however so that's clearly not the culprit.

I tried setting the screensaver to the simplest one possible - just shows the iMac's name - but this made no difference.

On a hunch I tried resetting the PMU of the iMac by shutting down, pulling out the power cord, leaving it for a while (overnight in my case), plugging the power back in, waiting a minute or so, then powering up. This seemed to fix the problem for a while but then last night it happened again.

Now I am trying the following. I've created a new test account on the iMac with the screensaver set to come on in 5 minutes, requiring a password to unlock, and energy saver set to sleep the screen in 15 minutes. I'll see if the issue recurrs. If so then it must be a system wide issue. If not then it must be something specific to my user account.

Note this issue does not occur on my 17" MacBook Pro, Mac Mini, or my wife's 13" MacBook. Only my 27" iMac.

If, after a day or so, the issue does not recurr on my test account then I'll try migrating all my apps and settings etc over to a fresh account on my mac and see how that goes.

I'll report back here with progress or things I discover.

Cheers

Dave

Jun 13, 2012 10:56 AM in response to Dave Sag

Thanks for the info. Actually when support suggested setting the security to less time than the screen saver it didn't make sense. Why should it matter. If that's the case it's still what would appear to be a bug. I never had it happen on my Mac Book or Mac Pro, just my wife's new 27" iMac.

I treid the suggestion from support and it didn't work as you noted. What does seenm to work though is setting the screen saver to never. Just have the screen go to sleep with no authentication. But that's not acceptable. My wife is taking the iMac back to the Apple Stotre and see if they can't fix it. If not she will be asking for a new unit.

I appreciate all the testing your doing. Let you know how we do.

Cheers,

Phil.

Since upgrading to 10.7.4 the screen savers on my iMac freeze

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.