Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

i cant activate my iphone 3gs after upgrade to 5.1.1

iPhone 3GS, iOS 5.1.1

Posted on May 13, 2012 8:58 PM

13 replies

May 23, 2012 1:54 PM in response to gdgmacguy

Since when is a minor iOS update, pushed by apple, and which fixes some real security issues, is equal to leaving the lights on in your car? Thumbs down on deciding to mock rather than offer help.

The number of people with an iPhone 3GS who have major issues (such as their phones becoming the equivelant of bricks) is growing, as people adopt the update. At first I thought it was isolated, but now I'm wondering...

Note, here's the security fixes this update brings:

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT5278

May 23, 2012 2:07 PM in response to Rob Mitchell1

Maybe if the poeple having those problems who decided to post here actually gave some basic information about what was happening when they tried to activate, others wouldn't be inclined to point out the futility of posting inane statements like "i can't activate my phone" with absolutely no information that could be used for troubleshooting.

May 23, 2012 2:15 PM in response to Rob Mitchell1

I wasn't the one who responded to him. Granted, I've responded in a similar vein to some out of pure frustration before.

Actually, I do have to say that gdgmacguy's response of "I can't start my car after I left the lights on all night".

gdgmacguy provided far more information in that statement as to the possible cause than the OP did in his post. I would have been better left at "I can't start my car".

May 23, 2012 4:02 PM in response to pagaro

The link to THIS SOLVED MY QUESTION has beed deleted by the "host." While I understand why it technically was deleted, it sure feels like a kick in the groin to people simply trying to keep their iPhones working. These forums are usually the first place I go for support, but now I realize that any problem solved outside Apple's terms of service cannot be discussed here. Guess my problems have never fallen into this category before -- lesson learned!

May 28, 2012 7:29 PM in response to KiltedTim

I am having this same issue. I recently updated from 4.1 to 5.1.1 which is a big thing for me because 4.1 was and is one of the most stable of all the ios in my opinion and now my phone will not activate in setup. I get a no service sign and when plugged in it says that i do not have a sim installed. it was unlocked a long time ago manually but was locked back to AT&T. Any help?!

Aug 2, 2012 8:23 PM in response to pagaro

I am experiencing the same issue and could use some advice:

Yesterday I plugged my Iphone 3GS into my computer and I selected in Itunes to update to the latest IOS 5.1.1.

Before I did this the iphone worked correctly, and after I did this it will not let me access the apps at all. I went to the Apple store and the rep told me I needed to have a working AT&T sim installed in it to complete the upgrade. I went to the AT&T store and had them put one of their working sim card in and it would not work. The AT&T rep said he has seen several people with Iphone 3GS who updated to the latest IOS 5.1.1 whos phones will not recognize the sim card and thus will not let you get to the apps.

Does anyone know how to correct this problem?

Sep 20, 2012 7:27 AM in response to EugenK90

My 3GS that worked perfectly, but 5.1.1 caused it to have the white screen of death. The iPhone apepars in iTunes and appears to be a functioning phone. But everything I've tried (including attempts by Apple Store personel) to fix software and reseat screen connector has failed to change anything.

So I upgraded to 6.0 yesterday, and the update went fine, as far as iTunes reports my phone's status. However, it still has the white screen of death. Oh, by that I mean, you can do nothing with the phone, turning it on just shows a white screen. I just wish I knew what to do with the phone at this point (it's long been replaced by a 4S).

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.